What is a Gougere?
Gougeres are French cheese puffs made with a choux pastry and loaded with cheese. Gougere is my favorite recipe to bake when I crave for cheesy puffs.
These little packages are so good and addictive. Loaded with two types of cheese: mozzarella and Parmesan cheese. They are packed with wonderful aroma, flavorful and delicious. I just can’t stop eating them!
How to Make Cheese Puffs?
I learned how to make them from Home Cooking Adventure.
You will learn the clear step-by-step instructions so this cheese puffs recipe is fail-proof and fool-proof.
Pâte a choux dough or choux pastry is the building block of cheese gougeres. It’s a cooked dough with the following ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- hot boiling water
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe yields 18 golden-hued, puffy, light and airy cheese puff balls. Each is only 80 calories.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served as a side dish. They go well with any main dishes. Try this quick and easy recipe. Make two batches as they will disappear in a matter of minutes!
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 3/4 cup water
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter (70g)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup plain flour
- 4 large eggs
- 3/4 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon minced Italian parsley
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring the water, butter, salt and ground black pepper to a boil. Add the flour and stir until it forms a dough. Cook another 2 minutes to dry out the dough.
- Transfer the dough to a bowl and let it cool slightly. Slowly add the eggs, one at a time and stir until well combined.
- Add the mozzarella cheese and parsley, mix well. Using 2 tablespoons to round each ball of dough and drop it onto the prepared parchment paper. Set them 1.5"-2" apart. Sprinkle some grated parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 425°F (220°C) and another 20-25 minutes at 380°F (190°C) until golden brown. Serve warm.
You can use any type of grated cheese or herb for this recipe.
Serving Size18 gougeres
Amount Per Serving Calories 80Total Fat 6gSaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 50mgSodium 151mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 4g