Chocolate Cake Recipe
This homemade chocolate cake from scratch is sinfully decadent.
It’s so moist, with a rich chocolate flavor, topped with chocolate ganache and fresh strawberries!
To make this simple chocolate cake recipe, you must use a good quality chocolate.
For the best results, use Valrhona Equatoriale 55%.
I will guarantee you that the end result is heavenly!
Other Recipes You Might Like
How to Make Chocolate Cake?
This easy simple recipe calls for the following ingredients:
- Dark chocolate
- Cake flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
The above ingredients are used for the cake batter. I recommend a ganache topping with dark chocolate, whipping cream and butter.
Frequently Asked Questions
How to Make Chocolate Cake Moist?
Use cake flour for extra soft and moist cake.
Other than that, use a real and good quality butter, for example: Challenge brand unsalted butter.
Also, fresh full milk makes the cake extra moist.
Why Does Red Velvet Cake Taste Different Than Chocolate Cake?
Red velvet is actually made with vinegar and buttermilk, which makes it have a different taste than chocolate cake.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 409 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a cute tea party, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 180 g castor sugar (fine sugar)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons chocolate powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 220 g cake flour, sifted
- 250 ml fresh full milk
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 50 g unsalted butter
Other Optional Toppings:
- Powdered sugar
- Melt the dark chocolate in a double boiler. Set aside to cool.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Pour in the melted chocolate, chocolate powder, baking powder and baking soda.
- Fold in the cake flour in 3 batches, alternate with the fresh milk.
- Pour the batter into a 8-inch rectangle cake pan or round cake pan.
- Bake at a pre-heated oven at 160°C (320°F) for about 50 minutes. Test with a cake tester, make sure it comes out clean.
- Remove the Chocolate Cake and let cool.
- Add the dark chocolate, whipping cream and butter in a heat-proof bowl over simmering water (double boiler method). Stir until the chocolate melts and becomes smooth. Let cool slightly.
- Spread the Ganache evenly onto the top of the cake with a spatula. Save some for drizzling.
- Cut the Chocolate Cake into slices, topped with strawberries and dust with powdered sugar, if you like.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.