This Crispy Roasted Potatoes recipe is from my friend Jessica Gavin’s cookbook “Easy Culinary Science for Better Cooking” which is now available in book stores and online.
What is so special about this oven roasted potatoes recipe are the techniques used, which are outlined below.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Cheesy Roasted Potatoes with Bacon
- Bacon Parmesan Hasselback Potatoes
- Instant Pot Creamy Potatoes
- Greek Roasted Potatoes
How to Make Roasted Potatoes Crispy
First, you par-boil the potatoes until they are cooked and starchy. Then you make the garlic-herb infused oil. For the herb, you can use rosemary and other herbs.
For me, I used oregano and thyme. To make the garlic-herb infused oil, heat up a skillet with oil and then add the garlic and herbs. (I used Le Creuset Signature Cast-Iron Skillet, 10.25″.)
Once the garlic turns brown, strain the oil and set aside the crispy garlic and herbs. The oil will be aromatic and it’s used to cook the potatoes before roasting in the oven.
This step is brilliant as the crispy garlic is used as a topping for the roasted potatoes.
For the par-boiling, the recipe calls for baking soda to create an alkaline environment to break down the starches on the potatoes, allowing for more crunch potential when roasted.
High temperature roasting at 450F allows gorgeous golden browning of the potatoes.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 205 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 quart water
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 lb baby potatoes or Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped herb, rosemary, oregano and/or thyme
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 450°F (232°C). Slice the mini baby potatoes into halves. For smaller potatoes, keep them whole. If you are using Yukon Gold potatoes, choose smaller ones about 2 inches (5 cm) in diameter, quartered.
- Heat the water in a large pot over high heat until boiling. Add 1/2 tablespoon of kosher salt, baking soda and the potatoes. Par boil the potatoes for about 10 to 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes using a strainer, set aside and let cool.
- Heat up the olive oil, garlic and herbs (I used oregano and thyme) in a skillet over medium heat. When the garlic turns brown, strain the oil immediately using a metal fine-mesh strainer. Reserve the fried garlic and herb.
- Return the skillet to the stove on medium heat. Add the oil, potatoes, the remaining 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt and ground black pepper. Use a large spoon to vigorously toss and stir the potatoes until a layer of potato starch coats the potatoes. Roast the potatoes for 15 minute or until the surface turns golden brown and crispy. Top with the fried garlic and herb plus the chopped parsley. Serve immediately.
Adapted from: Easy Culinary Science for Better Cooking Cookbook.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 205Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gSodium 2443mgCarbohydrates 28gFiber 4gSugar 1gProtein 3g