It’s on the cover of My Paris Kitchen. Oh boy, am I glad that I finally tried it out. This mustard chicken is utterly scrumptious with pre-marinated chicken and doused in the rich and intense mustard sauce; it’s the best mustard chicken ever!
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Honey Dijon Chicken
- Honey Mustard Baked Salmon
- Spicy Honey Glazed Chicken (with whole grain Dijon Mustard)
- Spicy Honey Salmon in Foil (with whole grain Dijon Mustard)
This recipe is every bit classic French. The chicken thighs are coated generously with the mustard mixture first before cooking, so every bite of the chicken is bursting with the amazing flavors.
I am usually not a fan of mustard but this recipe really got me rethink about mustard.
Make this recipe on a wide skillet, cast-iron skillet or Dutch oven. This is a substantial dish and feeds the entire family of at least 4-6. You can half the recipe if you have a small family. Enjoy!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 437 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup smoked thick-cut bacon, diced
- 8 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup white wine
- 1 tablespoon whole mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- water, as needed
- chopped flat-leaf parsley or chives for garnish
- Mix 1/2 cup Dijon mustard in a bowl with the paprika, black pepper and the salt. Toss the chicken pieces in the mustard mixture, lifting the chicken skin and rubbing some of the mustard mixture beneath. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to the skillet and add the chicken pieces to the skillet in a single layer over medium-high heat. Brown them well on one side, then flip them over and brown them on the other side. Transfer the chicken to a platter. Discard the oil.
- Heat a skillet with a lid or a Dutch oven over medium-high heat and add the bacon. Cook the bacon, stirring frequently until they are softened and slightly browned. Remove the bacon from the skillet and set aside. Leave about 1 tablespoon bacon fat in the skillet, discarding the rest.
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until soft and translucent. Stir in the thyme and cook for a couple of minutes before adding the chicken pieces. Add the wine. Cover and cook the chicken over low to medium heat, turning the chicken a few times, until the chicken is cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard, the mustard seeds or grainy mustard, and the heavy cream into skillet. Add water to thin the sauce. Simmer a little bit, top the chicken with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Serving Size6 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 437Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 10gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 192mgSodium 714mgCarbohydrates 6gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 34g