Sauteed Yellow Squash
Today let’s talk about yellow squash, with its peak season in spring to summer. What is the the best way to cook yellow squash?
Yellow squash is delicious with a natural tint of sweetness, so a simple saute with garlic and butter is all you need.
Other Recipes You Might Like
I love squash, be it zucchini or yellow squash. During this time of year, they are starting to pop up in the market.
There is no better time to make this simple and easy sauteed yellow squash as they are healthy, plus the beautiful yellow color adds vibrancy to your daily meal.
This recipe is an easy side dish you can make for weeknight dinner. They go well with just about anything: pasta, chicken, steak, or seafood.
The prep is completely hassle free and quick. Basically, you just cut them into rounds and then slice into halves. Sauteing is a breeze as you need only garlic, butter and olive oil.
The seasonings are salt, black pepper and fresh lemon juice.
Yellow squash cooks fast so timing is very important. Do not overcook as they will turn too soft, mushy and watery.
A perfectly sauteed yellow squash should retain crispness and a bite, so a quick minute or two in the saute pan is the expected cooking time. Enjoy!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 105 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
Sauteed Yellow Squash
- 1 lb. yellow squash
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Trip off both ends of the yellow squash. Cut into rounds and then sliced into halves. Set aside.
- Heat up a skillet on medium heat. Add the olive oil and butter. Saute the garlic for about 1 minute, then add the yellow squash. Saute the yellow squash and season with salt and ground black pepper.
- Cook for about 1-2 minutes until they are cooked but still remain somewhat crisp. Add the lemon juice and chopped parsley, stir to combine well with the yellow squash. Dish out and serve immediately.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
Great easy recipe. I also add zucchini, slice and quartered. Delish!
Hey Karen, yes, sounds yummy! Beautiful colors. Thanks for trying my sauteed yellow squash recipe.
Not nearly enough butter lol
Hi Lynn, I tried to make the sauteed yellow squash as healthy as it can be! You can certainly add more butter. ;)
Squash I love to stir-fry them. I always put just a pinch of garlic powered in mine.
Yellow squash I don’t think that I have ever seen them for sale NZ. Must ask around the garden centers to see if I can get some seeds.
Yes, a pinch of garlic powder will work wonders. That’s awesome to grow your own!!