Orange beef. Imagine deep-fried, crispy, golden brown and battered beef cubes doused in sticky, sweet, savory and tangy orange sauce.
Yes, I am sharing my orange beef recipe today. It’s absolutely delicious and addictive, a dish that is our guilty pleasure at Chinese takeouts and restaurants all across the United States.
Just like the much popular orange chicken, orange beef is well loved by many people. Beef is the preferred meat for many people and this recipe fits the bill.
Because the protein used is beef, the dish is beefy and stronger in flavors. Every bite is bursting with the tender and juicy flavors of the beef sirloin.
Other that sirloin, you can also use flank steak. Always remember to cut your beef against the grain so the meat is tender ant not rubbery.
If you love the orange sauce, double up on it so the orange beef is extremely saucy. I like mine just nicely coated with the sauce so the meat remains crunchy. Enjoy!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 295 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 10 oz. (300 g) beef sirloin or flank steak, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Oil for deep-frying
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- White sesame for garnishing
- Chopped scallion for garnishing
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup water, ice cold
- 1/2 tablespoon cooking oil
- Heat up a pot of oil to 375°F (190°C).
- Combine all the ingredients in the Frying Batter together, stir well so there is no lump. Transfer the beef into the frying batter, coat well. Mix all the ingredients in Orange Sauce together, set aside.
- Deep fry the beef in a batches. Once they turn light brown, remove from the oil with a strainer and transfer to a plate lined with paper towels. Deep fry the beef twice by dipping the fried beef into the batter again and deep-fry until they turn golden brown.
- Heat up a skillet with the oil and stir-fry the garlic until aromatic. Add the Orange Sauce and cooks until it thickens. Transfer the beef into the skillet, stir to combine well. Dish out, garnish with sesame and scallions and serve immediately.
Double on the Orange Sauce if you like it saucy. Also, add 1 teaspoon grated orange zest and 1 tablespoon garlic chili sauce to jazz up the taste, if you like.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 295Total Fat 10gSaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 111mgSodium 409mgCarbohydrates 26gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 24g