I burned my left thumb on a 475 degree Fahrenheit smoking hot oven–all because I was too eager to devour this dish like a hungry ghost.
I have been soaking my thumb in a glass of ice water, but it still hurts…
More ooooouch. Gluttony is indeed a sin…
However, the consolation of the day is this perfectly baked scallops (the golden brown mayonnaise topping is strutting its stuff) with enoki mushrooms in creamy spicy sauce.
If you’ve been to any Chinese/Japanese seafood buffet restaurants, I am sure you have tried the variation of this dish. Or, if you are a gourmand that frequents the likes of Matsuhisa, Nobu(and their outposts), Koi or other Japanese restaurants in Southern California, you know this is one of the must-try dishes at those eateries.
My recipe is adapted from Nobu: The Cookbook.
It’s really quite simple to make, but I must warn you that the plate is darn hot, so stay your fingers off the food so you don’t get burned like I did.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 164 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 6 sea scallops
- 1 pack enoki mushrooms
- 6 tablespoons creamy spicy sauce
Creamy Spicy Sauce:
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili garlic sauce, passed through sieve
- Mix the ingredients in the creamy spicy sauce and blend well.
- Preheat the oven to 475°F (246°C).
- Clean the scallops and cut each scallops into 4 pieces of equal size (slice horizontally).
- Chop off the roots of the enoki mushrooms and divide them into 4 equal portions.
- Spread the mushrooms on a plate and layer the scallop pieces over the mushrooms and bake for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Remove the scallops from the oven and top with creamy spicy sauce.
- Put the scallops back into the oven and baked until the surface turns golden brown.
- Sprinkle some paprika powder on top of each serving and serve hot.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 164Total Fat 15gSaturated Fat 2gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 14mgSodium 798mgCarbohydrates 2gSugar 1gProtein 3g