What is Soft Shell Crab?
Soft shell crab season runs from May to July, making this delicacy even more prized right now.
These crabs have recently molted their old exoskeleton, making them soft.
The radish sprouts–seasoned with just a wee bit of olive oil, salt, and black pepper–add extra punch and lend a tint of peppery flavor to this dish without requiring too much effort.
The roughly shaped bread crumbs create light, airy, and extra-crunchy coating on fried foods, especially on this recipe. Packed in a plastic bag, panko can be easily found in Asian markets…
Ingredients for Soft Shell Crab Recipe
- Soft shell crab
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- Ponzu sauce
- Fresh ginger
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you eat all of the soft shell crab?
The best part of this recipe is that yes, you can literally eat all of the crab. Say goodbye to messy eating of crab!
How can you tell if a crab is soft shelled?
The easiest way to tell is by a pinch test. Pick up each crab and squeeze the edge of the shell near the lateral spines or one of the legs.
How many calories?
This recipe has 432 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This dish is best served as an appetizer. For a wholesome Japanese meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 4 soft shell crabs
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup Panko, Japanese bread crumbs
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 box radish sprouts
- Olive oil
- 5 tablespoons Ponzu sauce
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger, grated
- Heat up vegetable oil to 300 degrees in a deep pot or deep fryer.
- Clean the crabs with water and blot them dry with paper towels.
- Coat crabs with the egg and then panko. Make sure that the crabs are well-coated with panko before you fry them.
- Deep fry each crab separately until the shell turns red and the panko becomes golden brown.
- Remove and drain crabs; set aside.
- Discard the roots of the radish sprouts.
- Season the radish sprouts with a little olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Mix the ponzu sauce with the grated ginger and transfer to a small serving bowl.
- On a plate, serve the crabs on a bed of radish sprouts and the ponzu sauce.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 432Total Fat 7gSaturated Fat 1gCholesterol 274mgSodium 2041mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 63g