Snow Crab Legs
Snow crab is one of my favorite crustaceans. I love its sweet, briny and absolutely flavorful crab legs.
In the United States, they are sold in clusters. Each cluster contains half of the crab with its body and five legs attached.
How to Cook Snow Crab Legs?
Just like king crab, snow crab are pre-cooked and frozen as soon as they are caught on the boat.
As a result, there is no need to cook. You just have to reheat frozen crab.
First of all, thaw the crab at room temperature. Next, you can bake, broil, steam or boil them before serving.
Remember not to over cook the crab or else you will lose the sweet briny flavors.
Broiled Snow Crab
This is the best recipe as broiling lends an intense and mouthwatering aroma to the crab.
The recipe is very easy and calls for only two ingredients:
- Unsalted butter
Broil the crab in the oven for 5 minutes is the best and quickest way to make the crab.
Buying Guide and Tips
I eat a lot of crab and have become an expert in buying and picking the freshest crab in the market. Here are my shopping tips:
- The shell on the crab legs should be orange-red color if they are fresh. It should be glossy looking without any black dots or marks. If the shell is pale orange in color with black dots, they are stale and the crab meat will be nasty in taste.
- Buy frozen crab in the freezer. They are the freshest. Avoid buying crab legs that have been laid out or on display in the seafood department.
- Fresh crab has a pleasant and salty smell that reminds you of the ocean. If the crab smells funky with an odor, do not buy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Snow Crab Taste Better than King Crab?
Snow crab legs are sweeter with a briny fresh taste. The leg meat has a fibrous texture.
Personally I think king crab has a more subtle taste, slightly less sweet with a firmer texture akin to a lobster.
Is Snow Crab Expensive?
It is pretty expensive, starting at $17.95 to $21.95 per pound, depending on the season.
It’s cheaper compared to king crab, which can run up to over $30 per pound.
However, you can get both crustaceans at a cheaper price when they are on sale, or during their peak seasons.
How to Eat Snow Crab?
It’s very easy to pick the crab meat. The shell are thinner and can be snapped open by breaking them with your fingers.
You don’t need a crab cracker to devour the meat.
The body cluster is also filled with crab meat and can be easily picked out by fingers.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 238 calories per serving.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Serve this dish with other seafood recipes. For a festive seafood meal for the holidays, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb. (0.4 kg) snow crab legs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Lemon wedges
- Preheat oven and select Broil function. Brush the melted butter using a brush on the snow crab.
- Broil for 5 minutes or until the shells are slightly toasted.
- Remove from the oven and serve the crab legs with the remaining melted butter and lemon wedges.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 238Total Fat 13gSaturated Fat 7gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 111mgSodium 786mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 27g