The one I love the most is my late mother’s sambal udang recipe, a very simple prawn sambal dish that I will share with you all one day.
My second favorite will have to be my friend Salt and Turmeric’s authentic Malay sambal udang tumis (prawn sambal), which tastes different but equally delicious. Prawn sambal is always my most requested dish whenever I visit F.
So, you could imagine how overjoyed I was when F gave me a bottle of her sambal tumis a few weeks ago–all done and ready-to-go in a bottle.
Naturally, the first thing I did after I came home from F’s was cooking up a nice serving of prawn sambal to go with my favorite roti jala (lacy pancakes).
Roti jala with sambal udang is a perfect “buka puasa” dish during the month of Ramadan and I wanted to share the following recipe with you.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 39 calories per serving.
What to Serve with This Recipe?
Serve this dish with other Malaysian dishes. For a Malaysia meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 5 tablespoons sambal (https://rasamalaysia.com/sambal-belacan/)
- 1 quarter medium-sized onion
- 10 shrimps, peeled and deveined
- salt to taste
- sugar to taste
- 1 teaspoon tamarind pulp, soaked with 1/4 cup of warm water and extract the juice
- 1 teaspoon cooking oil
- Heat up a wok with cooking oil and add the onions. Saute the onions until aromatic, then add in the sambal and prawn.
- Add tamarind juice and bring the sambal udang to boil. Add salt and sugar to taste. Serve hot with roti jala/lacy pancakes.
For the roti jala recipe, click here.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 39Total Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 37mgSodium 118mgCarbohydrates 3gSugar 2gProtein 3g