Tandoori chicken is my favorite item at Indian buffets. How can anyone resist an all-you-can-eat spread of Indian food of Tandoori chicken, chicken tikka masala, butter chicken, naan, samosa and more?
In this post, I will teach you a homemade Tandoori chicken recipe which I learned from my friend Simply Reem who is a master Indian chef.
Tips on How to Bake Tandoori Chicken In Oven?
Here are all the the secrets on how to make Tandoori chicken that are juicy, tender and bursting with flavors just like Indian restaurants!
- Use Greek yogurt and garam masala in the marinade. The yogurt makes the chicken tender and moist while the Garam Masala gives the iconic aroma and flavors.
- Bake the marinated chicken in the oven at high heat (400 degrees F). The heat will seal in juice inside the chicken.
- To avoid dryness on the skin and the surface of the chicken, baste with oil half way and turn the chicken over while baking.
Grill the chicken in an outdoor or indoor grill for the best results.
What to Serve with Tandoori Chicken:
For a wholesome Indian buffet-style dinner at home, make the following dishes.
If chicken tandoori is spicy for you, you can always serve it with a glass of creamy and sweet Mango Lassi.
How Many Calories are in Tandoori chicken?
This is a healthy meal. It’s keto-friendly and great for keto diet. Each serving is only 259 calories. You should try this authentic Tandoori chicken recipe at home and skip Indian buffets from now on. If you have leftovers, you can use them to make chicken biryani.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb. (0.4 kg) chicken legs
- Oil, for basting
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon ginger, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, finely minced
- 1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Red coloring, optional
- Clean and pat dry the chicken with paper towels.
- Mix all the ingredients of the Marinade in a bowl. Stir to combine well. Add the chicken to the Marinade and marinate for at least 2 hours, or best 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (207°C). Line the baking sheet with aluminum foil and place a wire rack over it. Place the chicken on the wire rack. Bake for 20 minutes, then turn the chicken over and bake for another 20 minutes. Using a small brush, baste both surfaces of the chicken with the oil a couple of times during baking. Broil the chicken for 1 minute or until the skin is slightly charred. Remove from the oven and serve immediately with lime wedges.
Serve the Tandoori chicken with Naan
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 259Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 81mgSodium 1248mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 0gSugar 1gProtein 17g