The Best Aglio e Olio
Spaghetti aglio e olio is one of the most basic and easiest Italian recipes. As the name suggests, it’s made with garlic (aglio) and oil (olio).
The oil is olive oil, and all spaghetti aglio e olio is speckled with chili flakes, which gives the pasta a subtle heat factor, plus jazzing up the taste department.
It’s amazing how the addition of chili flakes transforms the entire dish.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Ingredients for Spaghetti Aglio e Olio
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Tiger prawns
- Red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese
Frequently Asked Questions
What does aglio olio mean?
It is Italian for spaghetti with garlic and oil.
Can I use vegetable oil for aglio olio?
No, using vegetable will result in a bland pasta. Olive oil is recommended for this dish!
Do I have to use tiger prawn?
You can never go wrong with a few plump, fresh, and juicy shrimp on your pasta. I opted for tiger prawn but you can use regular shrimp. The end result was this amazing spaghetti aglio e olio, and we all had a wonderful weekend dinner.
How many calories?
This recipe has 318 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served as a main entree. For a wholesome Italian meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
Pairs well with:
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio with Shrimp Recipe
Spaghetti Aglio e Olio with Shrimp – super easy and delicious spaghetti with garlic, olive oil, shrimp and red pepper flakes. Amazing dinner for the family!
- water for boiling
- 1/2 lb spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 shelled, deveined tiger prawn or medium-sized shrimp, tail-on
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 sprig fresh parsley, leaves only, roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1Bring a pot of water to boil. Cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside. Save 3 tablespoons of the pasta water.
- 2Heat a skillet on medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds, add the shrimp, chili flakes, and salt. Cook the shrimp until both sides turn white, then add add the spaghetti and water into the skillet. Stir to combine well.
- 3Add the parsley into the skillet, stir to distribute well. Turn off the heat and add the Parmesan cheese.
- 4Dish out and serve immediately.