The Best Cornish Hen
This Spicy Honey Roasted Cornish Hen is a perfect delicacy for any major occasion, whether it be the holidays or somebody’s birthday. It is so much better than turkey.
Why do I choose this hen? It is a breed of smaller chicken from the county of Cornwall in England.
I first tried roasted Cornish Hen when my Jewish friend took me to a Jewish restaurant and I have been hooked since.
The meat is tender, juicy, and much better than turkey and even chicken.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Ingredients for Cornish Hen Recipe
You only need a few simple ingredients for this delicious recipe:
- Cornish hen
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sambal oelek
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Cornish hen better than chicken?
These hens are younger than chickens, so they have less calories as well as less fat. This also makes them more lean.
How many people does one Cornish hen serve?
One hen weighs up to about a pound, making very little meat. One person can eat one hen for a generous serving. Turn the hen breast side down to make it easier to split in half.
How many calories?
This recipe has 356 calories per serving.
This holiday season, I strongly urge you to try out this recipe. Trust me, it tastes so good that you will practically eat the whole bird yourself.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served as the main dish. For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
Pairs well with:
- 1 cornish hen
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 3 toothpicks
- 1 tablespoon Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Rinse and pat dry the cornish hen. Make sure the cavity is dry. Add the garlic inside the cavity. Close the cavity by using 3 toothpicks.
- In a small bowl, add the Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive oil, honey, sambal oelek and salt together. Stir to mix well.
- Brush the mixture on the surface of the cornish hen evenly. Place it on a roasting pan (at the lower rack) and roast for 30 minutes or until the surface turns nicely brown (You may cover the Cornish Hen with aluminum foil to avoid burning). Turn the other side of the hen and roast for another 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 356Total Fat 38gSaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 227mgSodium 721mgCarbohydrates 11gFiber 0gSugar 9gProtein 39g