Spicy Thai Chicken Wings – Thai-version of buffalo wings, easy, quick, delicious and the taste is out of this world!
In the United States, all the sports fans are counting down to February 3, for Super Bowl 2013. Super Bowl is all about chicken wings, as the football enthusiasts watch the game while nibbling mouthwatering chicken wings. Other than the regular buffalo wings, you might want to try out something different this year, and I have just the perfect recipe for you—spicy Thai chicken wings that are sure to fire up the appetite and add some heat to the intense Superbowl game.
The flavor of these spicy Thai chicken wings is similar to the regular spicy buffalo wings but with an Asian twist. The heat comes from Sriracha, everyone’s favorite Thai hot sauce, with a tint of briny umami taste from soy sauce and Chinese oyster sauce, plus the subtle aroma of Chinese cooking wine. To serve, keep it American style by pairing the spicy Thai chicken wings with celery sticks.
Try this recipe this Super Bowl and I am very sure that everyone will be in for a treat and will not stop eating! Have fun.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 383 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- oil for frying
- 2 pounds (1kg) chicken wings
- salt to taste
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 shallots, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored and finely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Sriracha or any Asian hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Chinese cooking wine
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts, chopped
- celery sticks
- cilantro leaves
- Pour enough oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven, about 1.5-2 inches high. Heat it at medium heat until the temperature reaches approximately 400°F (200°C).
- In a bowl, season the chicken wings with salt to taste. Add in the tapioca starch and toss to coat.
- When the oil is ready for frying, working in batches, slowly add the chicken wings to the oil. Cook, turning occasionally, until the chicken wings are golden brown and crisp, about 10-12 minutes. Transfer the chicken wings to a rack over a baking sheet to drain.
- In a 6-quart sauce pan, heat the peanut oil over medium heat. Add in the garlic, shallots and onion. Stir well until the ingredients turn brown.
- Then add in the tomatoes and cook while stirring until soft and smooth. Add in the ketchup, Sriracha, soy sauce, sugar, oyster sauce and water. Stir until it slightly thickens. Then add in the wine and give it a quick stir. Add the chicken wings to the sauce and toss to coat.
- Transfer the chicken wings to a serving plate, sprinkle the chopped peanut and serve with cilantro and celery on the side. If there's extra sauce, transfer into a bowl and serve it with the chicken wings.
I cut the chicken wings into two part, the wings and the drummettes for easier cooking. I used Shaoxing cooking wine.
Serving Size6 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 383Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 4gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 62mgSodium 985mgCarbohydrates 30gFiber 1gSugar 15gProtein 18g