How to Make Sushi Rice?
If you love sushi rolls, you would want to learn how to make the best sushi rice, which is steamed Japanese short-grain rice seasoned with rice vinegar. Sushi rice is the building block of sushi. You can’t make sushi without it.
Sushi Rice Seasonings:
You will need steamed rice and three seasoning ingredients:
- Rice vinegar. I like and recommend Mizkan brand rice vinegar, which is what I use in the kitchen.
Other than the rice, the second most important ingredient is rice vinegar. Use the sugar and salt as flavoring to one’s liking.
- Use the best Japanese white short-grain rice. You can get it at Asian supermarkets or Japanese food stores.
- Wash the rice thoroughly with water before cooking. The rice is ready to be cooked when the water becomes clear—an indication that the “starch” coating the rice is completely washed off.
- Use an electric rice cooker to cook the rice.
- Add rice vinegar right after the rice is cooked, mix it while it is hot and then cool it.
- Preferably, use a wooden bowl and spoon to prepare the rice. Traditionally, sushi rice is made in a wooden tub called hangiri.
- Always use fresh sushi rice to make sushi, such as California Roll.
Sushi Rice Recipe
Sushi rice is the building block of Japanese sushi. Easy and authentic sushi rice recipe with steamed rice, rice vinegar, salt and sugar.
- 1 cup rice, (measured with the rice cup that comes with the rice cooker, about 80% of a regular measuring cup)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt or to taste
Cook the rice in the rice cooker. Once cooked, transfer the rice out in a bowl and add the rice vinegar, sugar and salt into the rice.
Mix well with a spoon. Let the sushi rice cool to room temperature. Use the sushi rice to make sushi rolls of your choice.
Use the sushi rice to make California Roll.