Sushi Rice Recipe
Sushi rice is made of steamed short-grain rice and seasoned with Japanese rice vinegar, salt and sugar.
It’s the building block of Japanese sushi, for example: maki rolls, nigiri rolls and hand rolls.
You can’t make sushi without it but this recipe is very easy and anyone can make it at home!
How to Make Sushi Rice?
It’s very easy to try this recipe at home. The best recipe calls for the following ingredients:
- Short grain rice such as Japanese rice or rose rice.
- Kombu or dried Japanese seaweed.
- Rice vinegar.
- Salt and sugar.
Rice vinegar, salt and sugar are sushi rice seasoning ingredients.
First, you can cook the rice in a rice cooker. You can also use an Instant pot.
After the rice is cooked, remove it from the rice cooker and let cool in a wooden bowl.
Traditionally, it’s made in a wooden tub called hangiri.
The last step is add the seasoning ingredients, mix and blend well with the steamed rice.
- Wash and rinse the rice with water to remove the “starch.” The rice is ready when the water becomes clear.
- Use an electric rice cooker to cook the rice.
- Use a wooden bowl and spoon to stir and mix the rice and seasoning ingredients.
- For the best flavors, use Japanese rice vinegar with dashi. It adds umami to the taste.
Frequently Asked Questions
Best Rice for Sushi?
What is the best rice to use for this recipe?
Short grain rice is the best type of rice to use. I strongly recommend a combination of Calrose rice and Japanese rice.
Calrose has a bigger grain so when both of them are combined together in the ratio of 1:1, you get the best and perfect texture.
Can I Freeze the Leftover Rice?
Yes, you can freeze the leftover rice in the freezer or keep for a few days in the refrigerator.
Steam the rice before using to ensure freshness and good taste.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 7 calories per piece.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Use the rice to make a variety of sushi. For a healthy Japanese meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1/2 cup Calrose rice
- 1/2 cup sushi rice
- 450 ml water
- 1 piece 4 inch (10 cm) kombu
Sushi Rice Seasoning:
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon salt
- Wash the rice with water and drain the water a few times, until the color of the water has become clear. Drain the rice in a colander.
- Mix all the ingredients in Sushi Rice Seasoning in a small bowl. Stir to mix well. Make sure the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Transfer the rice to a rice cooker and add the water and kombu. Set your rice cooker to cook the rice.
- Once cooked, transfer the rice into wooden bowl, spreading out the rice. Add the Sushi Rice Seasoning and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Let the rice cool down to warm and you may shape the sushi rice for any sushi you like.
You can use 1 cup of Calrose rice or Japanese sushi rice to make the recipe. For rice vinegar, I recommend buying Japanese rice vinegar with dashi.
Amount Per Serving Calories 7Total Fat 0gSaturated Fat 0gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 0mgSodium 18mgCarbohydrates 2gFiber 0gSugar 0gProtein 0g