This toasted marshmallow ice cream is the second recipe I share from the ice cream cookbook “Scoop Adventures: The Best Ice Cream of 50 States” by Lindsay Clendaniel.
Lindsay shares the amazing ice cream recipes she picked during her travels across the country sampling ice cream from specialty shops and restaurants.
The previous banana pudding ice cream recipe was well received.
S’mores are one of the best American creations.
Roasting marshmallows over an open fire, pilling the gooey marshmallow off the stick you found in the woods, and watching it ooze all over as you squeeze in between two graham crackers and a piece o chocolate is a piece of haven.
The dark caramelized sugar on a toasted marshmallow is a flavor on its own.
Scoop this ice cream at your next backyard get-together and you will be everyone’s favorite.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 489 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 7 oz. (200 g) mini marshmallows
- 1 ½ cups (355 ml) whole milk
- 1 ¾ cups (414 ml) heavy cream
- ⅓ cup (67 g) sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment, allowing the parchment to hang over the edges of the pan. Spread out the mini marshmallows on the baking sheet. Bake until dark brown in color, with some marshmallows beginning to burn, 12 to 14 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside. Combine the milk, heavy cream and sugar in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Bring the milk mixture to a low boil. Cook until the sugar dissolves, 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low and add the toasted marshmallows. Whisk until the marshmallows melt, 5 minutes. Pour into a medium bowl. Whisk in the salt. Set the bowl in the ice water bath to cool, 20 minutes, whisking occasionally. Add the vanilla. Cover and chill overnight.
- Once chilled, pour the ice cream base into an ice cream maker and churn according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Pack the ice cream into a freezer-safe container. Freeze until firm, at least 4 hours.
- Serving suggestion: Top with a scoop of Cow Patty Ice Cream (page 84) or other chocolate ice cream, sprinkle with graham cracker crumbs and you have a cool s’more in a bowl.
Serving Size1 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 489Total Fat 54gSaturated Fat 15gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 36mgSodium 939mgCarbohydrates 293gSugar 247gProtein 19g