What Is Tom Kha Soup?
Tom Kha Soup is everyone’s favorite Thai coconut chicken soup. Usually under the name tom kha gai, it is one of the most popular Thai recipes. If you have Thai food, I am sure you will order this amazing and aromatic chicken soup.
Other Recipes You Might Like
Ingredients for Tom Kha Gai
Tom Kha Gai is very easy to make at home. All you need are these ingredients:
- Coconut Milk
- Thai chilies
The cooking process is super easy, and in 20 minutes, you will have a pot of creamy, aromatic, sour, savory and mouthwatering soup.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Tom Kha Soup Healthy?
Tom Kha soup is actually surprisingly healthy. The broth is rich in minerals that are good for you.
What Does Tom Kha Gai Mean?
Tom means soup. Kha means “galangal” in Thai, and galangal is a relative to ginger. Gai means chicken. Together, they make this delicious soup!
How Long Does the Soup Last in the Fridge?
How Many Calories?
This soup is 510 calories per serving.
Serve Tom Kha Gai (thai Coconut Chicken Soup) With:
For a wholesome Thai dinner, make the following dishes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 8 oz. (226 g) boneless and skinless chicken, breast or thighs, cut into strips or thin pieces
- 20 canned straw mushrooms
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 stalk lemongrass, cut into 3-inch lengths and pounded
- 6 kaffir lime leaves , lightly bruised to release the flavor
- 6 slices galangal
- 8 bird's eye chilies, lightly pounded
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- Add water, lemongrass, galangal, chilies, kaffir lime leaves into a pot and bring it to boil. Add straw mushrooms and chicken and boil it on medium heat for a few minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Add coconut milk and boil for a couple more minutes. Turn off the heat and add lime juice and fish sauce to taste. Add chopped cilantro before serving.
If you can't find galangal, do not use ginger. Ginger is not the substitute for galangal. "Tom Kha" means galangal in Thai. However, if you absolutely can't find galangal and still wish to make this because you love this soup so much, just make it without galangal.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 510Total Fat 40gSaturated Fat 33gCholesterol 73mgSodium 2493mgCarbohydrates 13gFiber 2gSugar 2gProtein 31g