Fall is finally here in Southern California. In the mornings and nights, I have started to feel the chills in the air, and I am super excited to be making hearty soups for my family.
When it comes to soups, I simply love Thai soups. Nothing beats a bowl of piping hot, spicy, aromatic and utterly delicious Thai soup such as Tom Yum Goong (Spicy Shrimp Soup) or Tom Kha Gai (Coconut Chicken Soup).
This Thai Coconut Chicken and Shrimp Soup is pretty much a combination of the two recipes; it’s absolutely appetizing, mouthwatering and delicious. Trust me, the soup is SO GOOD and it’s better than your regular Thai restaurants. You just have to try my recipe!
When it comes to making Thai soups, there are a few ingredients that are essential: lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves, and galangal. They are the key ingredients that lend and impart the iconic and unmistakably Thai flavors.
They can be found at Asian or Southeast Asian stores. If you can’t find these ingredients, just skip them. It’s not ideal but there are really no real substitutes for them.
Serve Thai Coconut Chicken and Shrimp Soup with:
For a wholesome dinner, make the following dishes.
Pairs well with:
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Tom Kha Gai (Thai Coconut Chicken Soup)
- Creamy Thai Coconut Chicken Soup (Instant Pot)
- 15-Minute Tom Yum Noodle Soup
Thai Coconut Chicken and Shrimp Soup Recipe
Thai Coconut Chicken and Shrimp Soup – the best soup you'll ever make in your kitchen. This soup is to-die-for, better than Thai takeout!
- 1 can (14.5 oz chicken broth or 1 3/4 cups)
- 4 cups water
- 3 stalks lemongrass, white part only, pounded
- 2- inch piece galangal, sliced
- 12 kaffir lime leaves, bruised
- 3 tablespoons Thai roasted chili paste, nam prik pao
- 1/2 lb skinless chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1/2 lb shrimp, shelled and deveined, tail-on
- 6 oz fresh white button mushrooms, stems trimmed and quartered
- 1 red chilies, deseeded, cut into thick strips
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 big lime, juiced
1Add the chicken broth and water into a pot on high heat. Add the lemongrass, galangal, kaffir lime leaves and roasted chili paste into the broth and bring to boil.
2Add the chicken, shrimp, mushroom and red chili. When the chicken and shrimp are cooked, add fish sauce, coconut milk and lime juice. Stir to combine well. Turn off heat and serve immediately.
If you can't find lemongrass, galangal, and kaffir lime leaves, just skip them. There are no real substitutes but your soup will not have the aromas imparted by these ingredients. You can buy Thai roasted chili paste online.