What is Thai Coconut Chicken Soup?
I am super excited to share this Instant Pot creamy Thai coconut chicken soup, which is a Thai-flavored chicken soup made with coconut milk and chicken broth, infused with Thai herbs plus fresh lime juice.
This creamy Thai coconut chicken soup takes only 15 minutes to make and the end result is absolutely scrumptious. If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can use a slow cooker or make this soup on a stove top.
Other Recipes You Might Like
- Tom Kha Gai (Thai Coconut Chicken Soup)
- Thai Shrimp Noodle Soup
- Thai Coconut Chicken and Shrimp Soup
Instant Pot Soup
I am sure many of you bought an Instant Pot on black Friday sales. I got mine a few weeks ago and this is my second Instant Pot recipe and I absolutely love the pressure cooker.
Many of my readers have been asking me to convert my popular Asian recipes to Instant pot recipes so here it is an Instant Pot soup recipe you have been looking for.
Ingredients for Coconut Chicken Soup
Here are the key ingredients used in this mouthwatering soup.
- Red curry paste
- Chicken broth
- Coconut milk
- Kaffir Lime Leaves
- Coconut milk
- Fish sauce
- Lime juice
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 395 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) skinless and boneless chicken breast or chicken thighs, cut into cubes
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste, Mae Ploy brand
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into thick strips
- 6 slices galangal, optional
- 6 kaffir lime leaves , torn and bruised, optional
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce or salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- Cilantro leaves
- Turn on the Saute mode on your Instant Pot. Add the onion and saute for 10 seconds before adding the chicken. Saute the chicken until the surface turns white. Add the Thai curry paste, bell peppers, galangal and kaffir lime leaves (if using), stir to mix well. Add the chicken broth, fish sauce and sugar. Cover the pot and select High pressure for 6 minutes.
- When it beeps, turn to Quick Release. When the valve drops, remove the lid carefully, add the coconut milk and lime juice to the soup, stir to mix well. Top with cilantro and serve immediately.
Watch the cooking video on this page for step-by-step guide.
If you can't find galangal and kaffir lime leaves (they are hard to find unless you go to a good Asian store), you can use lemongrass and skip the two ingredients. Lemongrass is not a substitute for both galangal and kaffir lime leaves but it will infuse the soup with its unique fragrance and aroma. If you don't have an Instant Pot, you can add all ingredients in the slow cooker (except coconut milk, lime juice and cilantro) and slow cook for 4-6 hours. Add the coconut milk, lime juice and cilantro when it's done cooking. You may also cook the soup on a stove. The steps are the same, except that you use a regular soup pot to cook. You may want to slowly simmer the chicken soup for about 15-20 minutes before you add the coconut milk, lime juice and cilantro.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 395Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 15gCholesterol 145mgSodium 1622mgCarbohydrates 8gFiber 1gSugar 3gProtein 50g