Who knew that Tom Yum Soup takes only 15 minutes to make?
Yep, you heard it right, it takes as little as 15 minutes to make Tom Yum Soup, or in this case, Tom Yum Noodle soup, which is one of my favorite lunch dishes during week days.
Like any busy moms, I don’t have a lot of time during the day.
And when it comes to lunch, I have a list of quick and easy, 15-minutes lunch recipes that I always resort to: cold soba noodles, soba noodles soup, various variations of fried rice, and this Tom Yum noodle soup.
Many people think that Tom Yum, or Thai spicy and sour shrimp soup is too intimidating or hard to attempt at home.
In reality, it’s about the easiest Thai recipe to prepare, provided you have the ingredients.
To make Thai cooking at home, you ought to stock up the essentials, especially: nam prik phao (Thai roasted chili paste), fish sauce, palm sugar, lemongrass, kaffir lime leaf, and lime juice.
As I am a huge fan of Thai food, they are always in my pantry or fridge.
If you don’t have these ingredients, I strongly urge you to stock them up as you can make endless Thai dishes with these staples.
One pointer about making quick lunches is to multitask.
I always do 2 or 3 things at the same time.
I will boil the noodles while prepping the ingredients.
And while I wait for my soup to cook, the noodles would be done.
Try this recipe and practice multitasking in the kitchen and a good and delicious weekday lunch is 15 minutes away.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 31 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 roll packaged soba noodles/egg noodles or instant noodles
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 stalk lemongrass, white part only, pounded and bruised
- 5-6 kaffir lime leaves, bruised
- 4-5 slices fresh galangal
- 1/2 small tomato, cut into 3 to 4 wedges
- 6 medium-sized shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 6 canned straw mushrooms or fresh oyster mushrooms, cut into halves
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Nam Prik Pao, Thai roasted chili paste
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce or to taste
- 3 dashes chili powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice
- cilantro leaves, for garnishing
- Prepare the soba/egg noodles according to package instructions. Usually it takes about 5 minutes or so to cook the soba noodles. Drain the noodles, rinse with cold water and set aside in a serving bowl.
- At the same time, bring the 1 1/4 cups water to boil in another small pot. Add in all the aromatics, follow by the shrimp, mushrooms, and nam prik phao. Keep boiling until the shrimp is cooked through. Add the fish sauce and chili powder. Turn off the heat, add in the lime juice. Stir to combine well.
- Pour the Tom Yum soup over the noodles and topped with some cilantro leaves. Serve immediately.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 31Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 23mgSodium 297mgCarbohydrates 5gFiber 1gSugar 1gProtein 3g