Originally published in Jan 28, 2009, updated with new photos.
Other Recipes You Might Like
I love fried chicken and some of the most flavorful fried chicken in the world are from Southeast Asia, for example, this crispy, moist, juicy and extremely delicious Thai fried chicken.
These fried chicken rival the best ones from street vendors in Bangkok. They are best served with Thai sweet chili sauce which you can buy from Asian stores. Enjoy!
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 339 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 2 lbs. chicken, drumsticks, thighs, breasts, or cut-up chicken pieces
- 6 cloves garlic (peeled and pounded)
- 2 tablespoons cilantro roots or use the cilantro stems (without leaves)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (large-grained or kosher salt)
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper
- oil for deep-frying
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons corn starch
- 4 tablespoons rice flour
- Clean the chicken and pat dry with paper towels.
- Use a mini food processor or a mortar and pestle to blend the garlic, cilantro roots and salt until they become a fine paste.
- Add the paste, fish sauce, oyster sauce, ground black peppper to the chicken and mix well. Transfer the chicken into a big Ziploc bag and marinate for four (4) to six (6) hours in the fridge, or best overnight.
- When ready, heat up a pot of cooking oil or use a deep fryer. While waiting for the oil to heat up, mix the three types of flour together in a new Ziploc bag. Add the chicken and coat evenly with the flour mixture. Shake the excess flour off.
- Drop the chicken gently into the oil and deep fry the chicken until crispy and golden brown (the inside should cook thoroughly but remains juicy). Transfer the fried chicken out on a plate lined with paper towels to soak up the excess oil.
- Serve the fried chicken immediately with Thai sweet chili sauce.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.