Honey Walnut Shrimp / Walnut Prawn Recipe (核桃虾) http://rasamalaysia.com/chinese-food-recipe-honey-walnut/
August 12th, 2008 93 Comments

Honey Walnut Shrimp / Walnut Prawn Recipe (核桃虾)

Honey Walnut Shrimp
Honey Walnut Shrimp pictures (3 of 7)

(Chinese recipes, prepare authentic Chinese food now!)

My Beijing Olympic Chinese Food series continue today with everyone’s favorite shrimp/prawn dish in the United States–Honey Walnut Shrimp or Walnut Prawn (核桃虾).

This Honey Walnut Shrimp is loaded with all the right stuff: crunchy candy-glazed walnuts, big shrimp (which is referred to as “prawn” elsewhere), mayonnaise, condensed milk, and honey. With such mouthwatering ingredient lists, no wonder this is one of the most popular dishes in many Chinese restaurants.

Ordering Walnut Prawn at restaurants could be expensive but with my recipe, you can make Honey Walnut Shrimp anytime you want, for as little as $10.00!

1 pound of 31/40 count big shrimp/prawn – US$7.00
1 small pack of walnut halves – US$2.00
A little honey, a little condensed milk, a little mayonnaise – US$1.00
Total: US$10.00

Rasa Malaysia’s Beijing Olympics Chinese Food Series will continue with Sweet and Sour Pork, Chow Mein, and a special request from you. If you have a Chinese recipe that you’re dying to learn, please leave me a comment and I will make it especially for you.

Now, go back and catch the games on TV!

CHINESE RECIPES: POPULAR & ALL-TIME FAVORITES

Chow Mein Broccoli Beef Sweet and Sour Pork Egg Drop Soup
Chow Mein Broccoli Beef Sweet and Sour Pork Egg Drop Soup
Kung Pao Chicken Cashew Chicken Fried Rice Orange Chicken
Kung Pao Chicken Cashew Chicken Fried Rice Orange Chicken
Crab Rangoon Mongolian Beef
Crab Rangoon Mongolian Beef

1. Manggy says:

Looks good bee! This is the first time I’ve ever seen condensed milk incorporated into a savory recipe! :)

• ValerieKay says:

All I can say about the Honey Walnut Shrimp…is “Yuuuuuummmmmy”! I usually just bread and deep fry my shrimp (the raw shrimp), the only thing I know what to do with it…so far!! Eventually, I want to learn some new tricks here since I am a real shrimp lover.
      I know what I am going to cook for dinner tonight, just bought 3 big 2 lb bags of raw shrimp this last week on sale!! This sounds so good and I can taste it already! I had no clue as to how to get that creamy sauce to taste just right. Some local restaurants serve it with creamy sauce(some refer to it as creamy coconut shrimp but they use coconut instead of walnuts). I am assuming that the walnuts would have more flavor than the coconut does!

BTW…just one pointer here in case you didnt know…this ‘deep frying tip’ was handed down to me from a family member who has deep fried for many years. You can grind up those crackers/tortilla chips, etc (I use my food processor but a blender or a rolling pin works great also)and then store them in an air tight container until you need to use them to bread your shrimp/chicken/etc. When that time comes, we add pepper, garlic powder, plus any other seasoning(s) we would like to the amount of crumbs that we are going to use after it is seperated. We then add some flour & corn starch to the crumbs we are going to use. For every 3 cups of crumbs, we add approx 1 cup of flour and 1/4 cup of corn starch and then blend/stir them all together really good. Dip the meat into the usual egg and milk mixture twice and then deep fry at the right temp for the required time. The breading on the meat turns out excellent and somewhat ‘fluffy’ and not hard and is always golden brown. Always a treat!!

2. theladyphoenix says:

Wow, I’ve never had this dish before, but I’m certainly going to give it a go. :)

I do have a couple of questions about a couple of your recipes that I’d dearly love to have your feedback on. I made both your pineapple tarts and the portuguese egg tarts today, because they look so damn amazing and delicious in your photos. *_* I’m a bit of a cooking newbie, so I apologise if these sound really obvious.

I found it really difficult to shape the pineapple egg tarts; the dough was REALLY crumbly! Is that caused by adding too much flour at a time? I tried to go slow but near the end it just went all over like crumbs of dough rather than a… dough. I could barely get them to hold together around the filling, so they were ugly as sin haha. But DELICIOUS.

For the portuguese egg tarts, I couldn’t find any kind of crust mix, so bought a pack of pre-rolled, frozen savoury short pastry. I thawed them to room temperature (they were even drying and hardening a little bit, oops), and arranged the pastry into a 12-muffin tray; not really deep, and about the same size as you’d expect one of these tarts to be. The custard turned dark brown very quickly, but the pastry is… well I THINK it’s cooked enough to eat but it’s still soft and thin where it was in contact with the custard, so around the lower sides and on the bottom. Is this because I used a frozen pastry? :( The custard did cook quite quickly but there wasn’t a lot of it; it seemed like I should have doubled the recipe for the filling, though that sounds kind of weird since yours look perfectly fine.

Sorry for going on and on! I’d really appreciate any ideas on where I went wrong with your recipes, because I’d definitely try them again.

3. daphne says:

ooo. Sweet and savory- walnuts and prawns, a match made in heaven!

4. ChichaJo says:

Oh my goodness! This is very close to one of my favorite dishes from Chinese restaurants, Hot Prawn Salad…which is basically prawns/shimps prepared like this (with mayo, condensed milk, etc) and fruit cocktail instead of the walnuts. This is even better because I don’t really eat the fruit cocktail part and I LOVE walnuts! Oh MY! THANK YOU!

5. Keropok Man says:

ooo… it looks yummy. that bowl is definitely not enough for me.

I have never used condensed milk in my food. :-)

If I substitute condensed milk with XO sauce, would it work? Hehe… I got XO sauce in my fridge, but no condensed milk at home.

6. Andrea says:

I can’t wait to try this! We really like honey walnut shrimp.

7. Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) says:

I’ve seen this on American Chinese restaurant menus, but never thought that something with mayonnaise would be authentically Chinese. It’s those candied walnuts that are irresistible!

8. Salt N Turmeric says:

this has got to be the 1st time iv seen a prawn recipe using condensed milk!
    btw, i like the banner. looks better than the one i did. hehe.

9. Passionate Eater says:

I can’t believe the ingredients you put in the recipe, very innovative and delicious sounding! I give you a gold medal for this recipe adaptation. Thanks again Bee!

10. PaniniKathy says:

And I here I thought it was only *my* favorite Chinese dish!! :-) I absolutely love honey walnut prawns – always my go-to order in Chinese restaurants. I’ve tried making it a few times at home – I get the shrimp right, but I burn the walnuts every time. Any tips to ensure perfectly candied walnuts? Stunning photo!

11. Maya says:

I’d probably pick out all the walnuts and eat them first!

12. Rasa Malaysia says:

All – thanks for your comments.

Lady Phoenix – for the pineapple tarts, it depends on the brand of the butter you use because the moisture level of each butter is different, look for one with the highest moisture level. Sorry but I don’t have a better answer. Sorry but no idea about the short pastry.

Lydia – I think this is more like an American-Chinese food, but I am seeing more mayonnaise on Chinese food now in Asia.

Keropok – no, you can’t substitute with XO sauce because it’s different, but you can do without the condensed milk. Just add more honey.

PaniniKathy – you just have to keep your eyes on the walnut and make sure you boil them in the candy sauce just a wee bit, and then transfer and dry.

13. Jennifer Carden says:

Thanks, great recipe. Now we have something to do with all the walnuts from our trees!

14. mama bok says:

Thanks for the recipe.. :) i will definitely try it out .. as soon as i recover from my surgery.. :) i do miss my shrimps alot.

15. Rasa Malaysia says:

Testing!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this recipe! I made this recently but wasn’t so successful as we made it via trial and error ha. You just made my day -thanks once again!

Ce’nedra

P.S. As for the request, I’m sure others would have asked for something else, but if you can, I would love it if you could offer a recipe for Ngo Hiang (Teochew prawn rolls).
    Anyhow, keep up the good work -you’ve got amazing recipes that are really inspring to me.

17. SteamyKitchen says:

we both have shrimp love!

did water trick work for you?

18. natalie says:

ohhhh yum!!! i have to try this recipe one night!

19. Paula says:

Oh wow! This looks terrific! I’ve never seen anything like it, but you can bet I’ll be giving this a try. I bet my husband would love this!

20. thebeetree.org says:

Help the honeybees!

Prevent the loss of the world food supply. Learn how you can help cure Colony Collapse Disorder.

What is the bee tree?
    thebeetree(dot)org

21. noobcook says:

:)~ I’ve never ate this dish in restaurants b4 … and I love the chinese name, 核桃虾. Me (and my hamsters- they love walnuts) loves this dish! :D

22. Jude says:

I love this dish. There are a few restaurants in Chicago that do it really well. It’s usually the first thing I think of ordering when I’m at those places

23. lingzie says:

this is an interesting dish! i dont think i’ve had it before at any of the chinese restaurants here in penang! lol. interesting to note the chinese food that is popular in america! :)
    this sounds like an awesome recipe. ~files it away under recipes to try~

24. theladyphoenix says:

Thanks for the tip about the moisture in butter! I actually just added a wee bit of water to the dough, and it was perfect!! It made the most amazing, delicately light tarts. :) Thanks again for posting the recipe.

25. Kevin says:

This is the first that I have ever heard of this dish but it looks and sounds good. I will have to try it.

26. Chinese Food says:

OMG!! Looks so delicious!! I’ll definitely try this recipe! I also found a lot useful recipe here Chinese Food

27. veron says:

this looks delicious…thanks for all the chinese food ideas…I really should start cooking food that I was used to growing up!

28. Cynthia says:

Thoroughly enjoying the series.

29. VG says:

Hi RM

Love your blog and visit it often. The prawns look divine. Must try soon.

30. Indonesia-Eats says:

Bee, I am getting hungry now….

31. Kate / Kajal says:

This looks lovely bee, just the thing to eat while watching the olympics ..i hope you’re following it. I manage to watch some everyday !

32. mycookinghut says:

This is something that I haven’t tasted. The combination looks really good!

33. Fern says:

Your honey walnut shrimp recipe sounds easy enough. i know my family is going to love me more when i serve this easy to make honey walnut shrimp.

34. diva says:

oh i think i had this once in a chinese restaurant in high school. never knew they used condensed milk in it. looks great!

35. vicky says:

This honey walnut shrimp looks so good! I will try to make it using your honey walnut shrimp recipe.

Hi,

The website said to leave a comment with requests:

Can you please come up with the recipe for Crispy Sesame Chicken at Charlie Chiang’s (Centreville, VA)?

Thanks so much!
    Julie
    Burke, VA

I hope this is a close match to Chef Chu’s Prawns with Candied Pecans. I’ve been trying to find that recipe for years! I can’t wait to make this!
    Julie

38. hersu says:

Look nice, sweet….
    i think i have to try it

I’ve tryed different receipes and this is by far the best one that i’ve tried! Thank you so much for posting one of the best chinese dishes!!!

40. sawhster says:

Thank you for this awesome recipe! It’s a nice subtle flavor compared to other variations I’ve had at numerous restaurants.

If you are big on walnuts, I would double the amount for walnuts, sugar, and water – which worked out perfectly for me!

If you are big on honey, I would add 1 Tbsp Honey to the walnut sugar water mixture, and 1 Tbsp Honey (instead of just a 1/2) to the mayonnaise. I also added 2 Tbsp water since my husband is not big on mayonnaise to thin it out.

Thanks again! And can’t wait to try out more of your recipes :)

41. Matthew Tang says:

I wanted to ask if you need to sweetened condensed milk or non sweetened? this is the part I am not so sure…

42. Rasa Malaysia says:

Matthew – it’s sweetened condensed milk.

43. Matthew Tang says:

thanks so much for the fast reply, have to look around in Germany, because they don’t take sweetened condensed milk… but hey, keep it up, love your site, I managed to put on a Nasi Lemak Party here in Berlin because of your recipe… :-)

Just discovered this site: the recipes look and sound delicious.

Just one comment (not necesarily related to this recipe): I note that a very large number of readers who post comments haven’t actually *tried* the recipes they are posting about. Why is that? I read and use a lot of the recipes at Epicurious.com that sound great, but get bad reviews when people have actually tried them. Just curious how many of the posters here try the recipes, and why they don’t post back with the results more frequently.

Chris

45. just a note to anyone thinking of using pre-cooked shrimp, don’t. i had a pack in the freezer and decided to use those. the quality is definitely not comparable to using fresh shrimp.

46. Inarosie says:

I just wanted to tell you that this recipe worked perfectly. I have had several recipes that did not come out right, So I wanted to make it a point to come ot your site and commment oh how great it is. Thanks so much.

47. Lisa says:

Just made this last night…….it came out perfect!!! And JUST LIKE from the restaurants in Chinatown……..Thanks for the awesome recipe!!! One change….i used waterchestnut powder instead of corn starch……

48. Danielle says:

I made this for my husband last night. It was delicious! I think I did the coating and frying of the shrimp a little bit wrong, as it did not have the texture I would expect, and will personally skip this step next time. Still, very, very delicious.

49. Jocelyn says: