Nyonya Stewed Pork Ribs
and Updates on Facebook Daily!
Stewed Pork Ribs with Bean Paste (Taucheo)
450g pork spare ribs
100g shallots (skin peeled)
100g fresh red chilies (seeded and sliced lengthwise)
4 cups water
3 tbsp taucheo/bean paste (smashed with a mortar and pestle)
1 tbsp tamarind pulp (soaked in 1/4 cup water, extract the juice)
1 1/2 tsp sugar (or to taste)
Salt to taste
- Heat up a stew pot with 4 cups of water and bring it to boil.
- Add shallots, chilies, and pork ribs into the water.
- Add taucheo (bean paste) and bring it to boil.
- Lower heat to medium or low and cover with a lid and slowly stew the ribs for 1 hour or so, or until the meat becomes really tender.
- Add tamarind juice, sugar, and salt to taste.
- If it’s not sour enough, add more water to the tamarind pulp and extract more juice.
Nyonya stewed pork ribs should taste salty (from the bean paste), sour (from the tamarind juice), and sweet (from the sweet taste of pork ribs and shallots). It should also taste a little spicy from the red chilies. The taste develops overnight and it’s even better the next day.
Click Images Below for Similar Recipes:
Sign Up for Email Updates
Enter your email for new updates: recipes, giveaways, and more!