Ayam Pongteh (Nyonya Chicken and Potato Stew)
Ayam Pongteh (Nyonya Chicken and Potato Stew) | Easy Asian Recipes
2 shallots, peeled and roughly chopped
5 cloves garlic, peeled and roughly chopped
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup taucheo (fermented bean sauce)
1 Tbsp dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
2 Tbsp palm sugar, chopped
1 3-lb chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces, about 18 pieces
4 small boiling potatoes (Yukons or Reds will hold better than Russets), peeled and cut into large pieces
3 cups water
Salt to taste
2. Heat oil over medium heat, add shallots and garlic paste and fry for about 2 minutes, making sure not to burn the paste.
3. Add tauheo, dark soy sauce, and palm sugar. Stir until palm sugar has dissolved and liquid has thickened, about 30 seconds.
4. Add chicken and potatoes and the 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
5. When the water boils, reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until the chicken is tender.
6. Season with salt and soy sauce to taste. Serve hot with steamed rice.
Nyonya Chicken and Potato Stew (Ayam Pongteh)
Nyonya Chicken and Potato Stew (Ayam Pongteh) – Wonderful, homey Malacca Nyonya dish made with chicken, potato, and flavored taucheo and gula Melaka.
Many readers asked me for my Ayam Pongteh recipe, or Nyonya chicken and potato stew. Believe it or not, before this post, I have never had ayam pongteh, even though I grew up with my late grandmother, who was a true blue Penang Nyonya.
Much like the Cincaluk Omelet (telur dadar cincaluk) recipe that I shared, Ayam Pongteh is a Malacca (Melaka) Nyonya dish. Made with chicken, potato and flavored with taucheo (fermented soy bean sauce) and gula Melaka (palm sugar), ayam pongteh is a homey and wonderful dish…
I adapted this ayam pongteh recipe from my friend House of Annie, except that I reduced the amount of dark soy sauce because dark soy sauce is mostly used for coloring purposes instead of flavor. Try it out, I am sure you will love this.
SUBSCRIBE AND NEVER MISS A RECIPE:
SUBSCRIBE TO RASA MALAYSIA NEWSLETTER AND GET EASY AND DELICIOUS RECIPES DELIVERED TO YOUR INBOX. If you try my recipe, please use hashtag #rasamalaysia on social media so I can see your creations! Follow me on Facebook | Instagram | Pinterest | Twitter for new recipes, giveaways and more.