Americans take BBQ ribs very seriously. When it comes to BBQ ribs, attention to details spans from spice rub/seasonings, sauce, pork flavor, texture, smoke, appearance, scent, mouthfeel, cooking and grilling techniques to the overall balance of the ultimate product. Originated and perfected in the American South, BBQ ribs is at the very core of American food culture.
Eventually, I settled with a Chinese-style baby back ribs recipe, using none other the recipe for Chinese BBQ pork or char siu. Sticky sweet with a perfect balance of saltiness plus a touch of Chinese 5-spice powder, char siu sauce marries well with baby back ribs.
For the techniques, I used a combination of oven roasting plus BBQ grilling. I set my oven to 325 degrees F and roasted the ribs for about two hours.
I then transferred them onto the outdoor grill for a charred finish over direct heat. My verdict: juicy, moist, flavorful, and finger-licking good. Summer is in full swing so surprise your guests with these exotic Chinese-style BBQ baby back ribs!
Now, please do tell me what is your favorite BBQ ribs recipe and how you make it. Thank you.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 398 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 rack baby back pork ribs, about 2 lbs. (1 kg)
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
Marinade/Char Siu Sauce:
- Add all ingredients in the marinate/char siu sauce in a sauce pan, heat it up and stir-well until all blended. Transfer out and let cool.
- Rub the ribs on both sides with the chopped garlic. Marinate the ribs with 2/3 of the marinate sauce for 8 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (162°C). Line a large baking sheet with heavy aluminum foil, lay the ribs on top, and tightly cover with foil. Roast for 2 hours.
- Preheat the grill and remove the ribs from the oven and uncover. Transfer the ribs to the hot grill and grill over direct heat for 5-10 minutes or until the surface slightly charred to your liking. Brush both sides of the ribs with the remaining char siu sauce plus some oil while grilling. Serve hot.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 398Total Fat 24gSaturated Fat 8gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 98mgSodium 606mgCarbohydrates 18gFiber 1gSugar 11gProtein 28g