This Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake is a really delicious recipe to have in your house! I love cutting off a slice when I’m craving something sweet. The cream cheese adds a perfect richness, too! Everyone who tries it will agree that it’s the best cake ever.
Homemade Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake Recipe
This ultimate cream cheese chocolate cake is made with a rich, fudgy chocolate cake and filled with velvety cream cheese filling in the center. It is incredibly delicious, flavorful, and is a perfect dessert after dinner or any time during the day.
The cream cheese filling is so creamy and makes such a perfect combination with the buttery chocolate cake. Plus, topping the cake with some chocolate chips before baking makes it even more irresistible.
This is a super easy cake recipe to make from scratch! You don’t need a boxed mix to make a really yummy cake.
Ingredients for Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake
The chocolate cake calls for the following ingredients:
- Unsalted butter
- Caster sugar
- Heavy cream (or milk)
- Cake flour
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- Baking soda
- Chocolate chips (optional)
Cream cheese filling:
- Cream cheese
- Caster sugar
- Corn Flour
How to Make Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake?
Prepare the chocolate cake batter by beating the butter and sugar in a stand mixer until fluffy. Next, add egg and heavy cream to the butter mixture, and combine well. Fold in sifted cake flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt, and mix well with a spatula. Scrape down the mixture from the sides of the bowl and combine well until a smooth batter forms. Set aside.
To make a smooth cream cheese filling, we need to soften the cream cheese at room temperature first. Next, combine the softened cream cheese with sugar, egg and corn flour in a bowl, and beat it with a stand mixer or electric hand mixer until smooth.
Pour half of the cake batter into the prepared loaf pan, and shake it lightly to distribute evenly. Then, spoon the cream cheese filling in the center.
Gently add the rest of the cake batter onto the cream cheese filling. Smooth out the surface with the back of a spoon.
Sprinkle chocolate chips on top, and bake the cake for 40 minutes or until firm to touch around the edges.
Cool the cake in the pan for 20 minutes. Then, remove the cake from the pan, and let it cool down completely on a rack before serving.
For the best result, please follow the tips below:
To ensure the cream cheese filling is perfectly smooth, you need to soften it at room temperature beforehand. Beat the cream cheese until smooth with a stand mixer or electric hand mixer. Add other ingredients and keep beating the mixture until smooth and no clumps remain in the filling.
Insert a cake tester in the middle of the cake to test doneness after 40 minutes of baking. Bake 5 to 10 minutes more if the center of the cake is still wet.
Let cake cool down in the pan for 20 minutes before removing from the pan. Cool the cake entirely or chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes before slicing it.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Cake Pan to Use for Homemade Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake?
I used a regular loaf pan to make the cake. You can also use mini loaf pan, or a muffin pan to make bite-size cream cheese chocolate cake.
How to Store the Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake?
Store the cream cheese chocolate cake in an airtight container and refrigerate it for up to 3 days. You can also freeze the cake for up to one week. Soften the cake at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe has 469 calories per serving.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
Cream Cheese Chocolate Cake
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 2 medium eggs (2 oz each with shell)
- 2 tablespoons whipping cream (or milk)
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chip (optional for topping)
Cream Cheese Layer
- 3.5 oz cream cheese (softened)
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon corn flour
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C).
- Add butter and sugar into a mixing bowl, beat them with a stand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. It takes about 2 minutes.
- Whisk eggs and whipping cream in a clean bowl, and slowly drizzle into the butter mixture. Keep mixing the mixture at the same pace until incorporated.
- Fold in sifted cake flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, and salt, and mix well with a spatula. Scrape down the mixture from the side of the mixing bowl, and combine well until a smooth batter forms. Set aside.
- To prepare the cream cheese filling, first soften the cream cheese at room temperature.
- Beat the softened cream cheese with a stand mixer or electronic hand mixer until smooth. Add sugar, egg and corn flour, and continue beating the mixture until smooth and no clumps remain in the filling. Set aside.
- Pour half of the cake batter into the pan, and shake it lightly to distribute evenly. Then, spoon the cream cheese filling on the cake batter.
- Gently add the rest of the cake batter onto the cream cheese filling. Smooth out the surface with the back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on the top, and bake the cake for 40 minutes or until firm to touch around the edges.
- Cool the cake in the pan for 20 minutes. Remove the cake from the pan, and let it cool completely on a rack before serving.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.
Other Cake Recipes You Might Like
Can I use oil instead of butter?
Please follow the recipe.
What size pans did you use please?
Regular loaf pan (8-inch or 9-inch).
May I know why the cream cheese layer is wet. Please advise.
You may need to refrigerate the cake for 30 minutes before slicing it.
Much thanks for giving me a smart blog.
Only 2 teaspoons cocoa powder……Really?……..
Yes, that’s all you need as you are also using chocolate chips. You can add 1 teaspoon more if you like. Check the video embedded in the post.
Cream cheese chocolate cake looks great!! Sad though, just heard there is a cream cheese shortage, so bake this up quick!!!