Butter Chicken Recipe
Butter Chicken is a creamy Indian chicken curry commonly found in Indian restaurants. It’s usually served with naan and basmati rice.
I love chicken in a creamy butter sauce; it’s one of the dishes I always order at Indian buffet. Butter chicken is similar to Chicken Tikka Masala but they are different.
What are the differences between the two? Butter chicken uses butter and less spice-laden while Chicken Tikka Masala is heavier on the spices.
Both recipes call for Garam Masala, which you can buy online or at the spice aisle of food stores.
This amazing spice mix gives you the iconic Indian curry flavor. Butter chicken ingredients include chicken, tomato paste, ketchup, chili powder, ginger, garlic. heavy whipping cream, water, lemon, salt and sugar.
How to Make Butter Chicken Instant Pot?
With an Instant Pot, you can make this rich and mouthwatering chicken curry at home in a jiffy. First, you prepare the ingredients by marinating the chicken first.
Saute the chicken with butter, then add all the spices and pressure cook for 10 minutes. Add the heavy cream after pressure cooking and you will have the best homemade Indian butter chicken that tastes just like Indian restaurants.
The taste and aroma develop overnight so save your leftover for lunch tomorrow. You will enjoy the flavors even more!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 300 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
To serve instant pot butter chicken, you can try my homemade naan recipe or just serve with rice, preferably Basmati Rice. For a healthy meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
Pairs well with:
Instant Pot Butter Chicken Recipe
Instant Pot Butter Chicken - the best Indian butter chicken recipe with rich, creamy and delicious tomato butter chicken sauce. This easy recipe takes only 10 minutes.
- 2 lbs skinless and boneless chicken thighs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter (1/2 stick)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced or pureed
- 1 piece ginger, finely minced or pureed (1-inch)
- 1/2 cup tomato paste (6 oz/ 70 g)
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1Trim off the excess fat on the chicken thighs with a pair of kitchen scissors. Cut into chunks. Marinate the chicken with 1/2 tablespoon chili powder and lemon juice. Set aside.
- 2Turn on the Instant Pot and set to Saute Mode. When the pot is fully heated, add and melt the butter. Add the garlic, ginger and stir a few times. Add the chicken and saute until the surface turns white. Add the remaining chili powder, tomato paste, ketchup, Garam Masala, salt, sugar and water. Cover the pot and select Manual and set to High pressure for 10 minutes.
- 3When it beeps, turn to Quick Release. When the valve drops, remove the cover carefully, add the heavy whipping cream and chopped cilantro, stir to mix well.
- 4Drizzle more heavy cream on top the the Butter Chicken before serving, if you like.
I used a 6-quart Instant Pot.
You can skip Garam Masala but this spice mix is what gives Butter Chicken its iconic Indian flavor and aroma.
You may use chicken breasts. If you use frozen chicken, increase the pressure cooking time by 50%, or a total of 15 minutes.
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, you can make this Butter Chicken on a stove top using a pot. Simmer on low heat until the chicken thighs are cooked through and becomes tender.