Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Thanksgiving is coming up soon and I wanted to share this easy Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes recipe with you.
Thanksgiving can be stressful so I always use Instant Pot to make quick and fast side dishes and free up my time to work on the main dishes and desserts.
Instant Pot and pressure cookers are useful when it comes to potatoes. It takes 10 minutes active time to make this side dish and you’ll have the most buttery, delicious, creamiest the BEST mashed potato ever!
This is the ULTIMATE recipe because I adapted Joel Robuchon’s recipe for Instant Pot and you really have to try it this holiday season!
Other Recipes You Might Like
How to Make Mashed Potatoes in Instant Pot?
Making mashed potato in the Instant Pot takes two simple steps. First, you pressure cook the potatoes.
Next, you mash the potatoes in the Instant Pot and mix with butter, milk, salt and pepper. It’s really that easy!
- Use Russet Potatoes to make Instant Pot mashed potatoes. Russet potatoes are usually big with an almost oblong shape, making peeling the skin super easy and hence saving time. Russet potatoes are also high in starch contents so the end results are light, fluffy and creamy mashed potatoes.
- Use real and good quality butter. I like Challenge brand unsalted butter.
- Use whole milk for creamier texture and richer taste.
- Use sea salt for the best flavors. I like Maldon sea salt flakes.
- Use ground white pepper for seasoning. White pepper blends in with the potatoes while ground black pepper leaves speckled black spots. Ground white pepper also lends an earthy peppery aroma.
How Long to Cook Potatoes in Instant Pot?
For big Russet Potatoes (average 1 lb. each), pressure cook for 12 minutes on high pressure to make sure that they are completely cooked through.
You may cut the potatoes into smaller pieces if you want to cut down the pressure cooking time to 10 minutes.
Can I Use Skin On Potatoes?
Sure, you certainly can use skin on potatoes to make this recipe. Just make sure you scrub the skin clean of dirt before pressure cooking in the Instant Pot.
Alternatively, you can peel off the skin after pressure cooking before you mash the potatoes. The skin should come off very quickly after pressure cooking.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This Instant Pot mashed potatoes recipe is only 366 calories per serving.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Serve mashed potatoes with main dishes. For a healthy meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 3 lbs Russet potatoes, peeled (3 big potatoes, 1-lb each)
- 2 cups water
- 3 sticks cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 dashes ground white pepper
- 3 teaspoons sea salt
- chopped parsley, for garnishing
- Place the potatoes in the Instant Pot and add 2 cups of water. If the potatoes are too big, you may cut each potato into half. Cover the pot and select Manual and set to High pressure for 12 minutes.
- When it beeps, turn to Quick Release. When the valve drops, remove the cover carefully. Drain the water completely but keep the potatoes inside the Instant Pot. Use a potato mash to mash the potatoes to your desired consistency. (I like tiny potato chunks in my mashed potatoes).
- Turn on the Saute Mode and add the butter, whole milk, salt and pepper into the potatoes. Stir to combine well until the mashed potatoes become creamy. Turn off Saute mode, garnish the mashed potatoes with chopped parsley and serve immediately
This recipe is adapted from famous French chef Joel Robuchon's ultimate mashed potatoes recipe.
Serving Size8 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 366.34Total Fat 28.4gSaturated Fat 17.91gCholesterol 75.33mgSodium 721.18mgCarbohydrates 25.99gFiber 1.85gSugar 2.1gProtein 4g