Korean Spicy Chicken Stew – potatoes, chicken, onion, baby carrots, scallions, soy sauce, chili paste. So EASY and DELICIOUS!
Whenever I shop at Korean grocery stores, I love checking out the marinated meats section where buckets of pre-marinated meats are ready for sale.
I always buy the chicken stew and make it at home but it was pricey.
I decided to learn how to make it and found a similar braised chicken recipe in the Kimchi Chronicles cookbook.
The main flavoring ingredients are Korean chili paste “Gochujang” and Korean chili powder.
From the market, I found two types of Korean chili powder—one type is a fine powdered form and the other is slightly coarse.
I am not sure about the difference so if you are a Korean cook, please let me know.
I love the addition of potatoes and carrots to this spicy chicken stew.
The end result is a spicy and hearty chicken stew that I really enjoy eating.
It was simply delicious and comforting.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 445 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 1/4 lbs (0.5kg) chicken, cut into pieces and seasoned with some salt and pepper
- 1 onion, sliced
- 10 oz (280g) potatoes, cut into pieces
- 5 baby carrots
- 2 stalks scallions, cut into 2-in lengths
- 3 tablespoons Korean chili paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon Korean chili powder
- 1 tablespoon rice wine, (or sake)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon anchovy sauce or fish sauce, (to taste)
- Heat the oil in a large pot over high heat. Working in batches if necessary, add the chicken, skin-side down, and brown on both sides, about 6-7 minutes per side.
- In a small bowl, combine all the Seasoning ingredients and mix well. Set aside.
- When all the chicken is browned, add the onion, potatoes, baby carrots, and scallions. Stir a few times to combine well. Add the Seasoning into the pot, stir to blend well with all the ingredients. Cover the pot reduce the heat to medium-low, stirring now and then. Cook for about 45-60 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are tender. Add some water if the stew is too dry.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 445Total Fat 28gSaturated Fat 11gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 106mgSodium 499mgCarbohydrates 17gFiber 2gSugar 3gProtein 29g