NO-BAKE Chocolate Cake – Moist, soft, and THE MOST decadent chocolate cake recipe EVER, perfect for V Day!!!
Not many people can resist a good piece of rich chocolate cake, and I am no exception.
Today, I am sharing with you my friend CP Choong’s recipe, a no bake chocolate cake recipe. (You can check out the regular baked chocolate cake recipe here.)
Yes, you don’t have to bake the chocolate cake…in this instance, the chocolate cake is steamed, yet it retains the buttery richness, plus it’s also moist and decadent.
While oven is in almost every household here in the United States, back in Asia, not every home comes with an oven.
I remember when I was growing up, my late mother would only bake once in a blue moon, probably once a year, before Chinese New Year.
We had a very old-fashioned oven, a big around device that is stainless steel, with a big round cover.
It did its job well and we would bake Chinese peanut cookies in it.
For the rest of the year, we kept the oven in the storage until the next year before Chinese New Year again.
Anyway I disgress.
I meant to say that this no bake chocolate cake is great if you have no oven.
Everyone loves chocolate cake and you can still enjoy it without investing in an expensive oven.
You just have to steam it in a steamer for 45 minutes and you have a moist chocolate cake.
It’s really delicious and people might not even know that it wasn’t baked.
This no bake chocolate cake also comes with a chocolate fudge topping, which makes the chocolate cake even more irresistible.
To jazz it up even more, add some berries such as blueberries and strawberries and you have an excellent looking chocolate cake to impress everyone.
Look at these pictures, can you say no?
Happy steaming your cake and enjoy!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 556 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 180 g (6.3 oz.) Butter
- 200 g (7 oz.) Castor sugar
- 200 g (7 oz.) Full cream evaporated milk
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten with fork
- 100 g (3.5 oz.) plain flour / all-purpose flour
- 50 g (1.7 oz.) cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract / 1 tsp Vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons rum, optional
Chocolate Fudge Topping
- 200 g (7 oz.) condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract / 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 20 g (0.7 oz.) cocoa powder, sieved
- 1 pinch salt
- Combine castor sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla extract/essence and butter in a saucepan. Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted, remove from heat and keep warm.
- Add beaten eggs into the slightly cold evaporated milk mixture and stir till well mix.
- Sieve the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl, then pour the eggs mixture over the flour and stir till well mix ( cake batter should be runny)
- Heat up steamer.
- Lined and greased an 8 or 9 inch round baking pan.
- Pour the batter into the lined pan and place the pan into the steamer and cover the top of the pan loosely with a piece of aluminium foil.
- Cover the steamer and steam over medium heat for 45 mins.
- Cool the cake in pan before turning out for further decoration.
- To make Chocolate Fudge Topping:
- Combine the sieved cocoa powder, condensed milk and oil.
- Stir over low heat till thicken.
- Add in salt and vanilla extract or essence.
- Cool the chocolate topping a little before spreading on the cake.
- Refrigerated before serving it.
You may substitute the fudge topping with ganache, icing sugar, frosting etc.
Serving Size1 cake
Amount Per Serving Calories 556Total Fat 225gSaturated Fat 123gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 840mgSodium 2483mgCarbohydrates 448gFiber 26gSugar 331gProtein 66g