Best Pan-fried Dumplings
This pan-fried dumplings recipe is probably the best and most authentic fried dumpling recipe that you will find online. And, this is such an easy dumpling recipe. These Chinese dumplings are so crispy on the outside but filled with moist, juicy, and extremely flavorful meat and veggie fillings on the inside.
I made the dumpling wrapper from scratch, but you can just use the packaged dumpling wrapper found at the grocery store for quick and easy assembling.
How to Freeze Dumplings for Later
Make a big batch of these dumplings and freeze them in the freezer in a plastic bag. When you are ready to cook, just thaw at room temperature and pan-fry the dumplings until golden perfection and you have fresh fried dumplings.
How to Pan Fry Frozen Dumplings
- Place frozen dumplings into a non-stick pan with a thin layer of oil on the bottom, on moderate heat
- Add some cold water into the pan, and continue to fry until the water is absorbed into the dumpling
- Lower the heat and cook until bottom of dumplings are a golden brown
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 127 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 1 pack dumpling wrappers (round-shaped or homemade dumpling wrappers)
- Oil (for pan-frying)
- 150 ml water (for steaming)
- Chinese black vinegar or Japanese ponzu (for dipping)
For the Filling:
Homemade Dumpling Wrappers
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water plus 1 teaspoon water
- Extra all-purpose flour (for dusting and rolling)
- Prepare the filling by combining all the ingredients together. Use a spoon to mix well.
To assemble the dumplings
- Place a piece of the wrapper on your palm and spoon 1/2 heaping tablespoon of the filling onto the center of the wrapper. Do not overfill. Dip your index finger into a small boil of water and moisten the outer edges of the wrapper. Fold the dumpling to form a half-moon shape. Press and seal tightly.
- Arrange the wrapped dumplings on a plate lined with parchment paper to avoid the dumpling from sticking to the bottom of the plate. Repeat previous steps until the filling is used up.
- Heat some oil in a small skillet or pan over medium heat. Arrange 8 dumplings on the skillet or pan. Pan-fry the dumplings until the bottom turns light brown, about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add 50 ml water to the skillet or pan and turn the heat to high. Cover the skillet or pan with its lid and let steam. Turn the heat back to medium as soon as the water has completely evaporated.
- Add some oil to the pan again and continue to pan-fry the dumplings until the bottoms turn golden brown and become crispy. Repeat the steps above for the remaining dumplings. Serve the dumplings warm with the dipping sauce of your choice.
Homemade Dumpling Wrappers
- Combine the all-purpose flour and water and knead until the dough isn’t sticky, and the surface becomes smooth. Cover it with a damp cloth and rest for 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface into a long cylinder. Cut the cylinders in half, and then cut each cylinder into 12 small pieces.
- Dust the rolling pin and roll each piece of the dough into a dumpling wrapper about 4 inches in diameter. Set aside for the filling.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.