Perfect Steamed Dumplings
Recently, a coworker from Japan was in town and we were discussing about going for a dim sum/dumpling lunch. All the dumpling talks triggered a sharp craving in me that I had to make my own steamed dumplings.
How To Make Steamed Dumplings
Making dumplings is really not so hard and you can get all the ingredients from regular stores: dumpling wrappers, ground pork, etc.
To me, the slightly difficult part is the folding or pleating of dumplings, an easy skill that just requires some practices and training.
If you are new to making homemade dumplings, you can just fold the dumplings into half moon shape. Soon enough, you will become more comfortable with the folding.
Don’t forget, practice makes perfect for folding these dumplings. In no time, yours will look like mine pictured here.
The Best Filling for Steamed Dumplings
I love my dumplings filled with ground pork and some shrimp. If you don’t eat shrimp, you can always make the dumplings with ground pork only.
Most Chinese dumplings are made with pork only, but since I love shrimp, I added some shrimp. However, not everyone eats shrimp dumplings so feel free to add the protein of your choice!
How to Tell When Dumplings are Finished?
If you need a way to test if your dumplings are done, run a toothpick through one. If it comes out clean, your healthy dumplings are ready to be eaten!
Do try out my Asian dumpling recipe. These dumplings make a great and refreshing lunch or afternoon snack, especially with Chinese tea. Enjoy!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 332 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1/2 pound (0.2 kg) ground pork
- 8-10 medium-sized shrimp, peeled, deveined, and cut into small pieces
- 1 stalk scallion, finely chopped
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1 teaspoon Shaoxing wine or sherry, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 inch ginger, peeled and grated
- 1 pack pot sticker/ dumpling wrappers
- Combine the ground pork, shrimp, chopped scallions, ginger, and all the seasonings together. Mix well and set aside.
- To make dumplings, place a small spoonful of the filling in the center of a wrapper. Dab a little water with your finger and circle around the edge of the skin, and then fold and pleat the dumpling accordingly. Repeat the same for the rest. (Please refer to this video to learn how to fold/pleat dumplings.
- Arrange the dumplings in a bamboo steamer (lined with parchment paper at the bottom) and steam for 8-10 minutes. Serve immediately with black vinegar dipping sauce.
Serving Size6 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 332Total Fat 9gSaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 54mgSodium 735mgCarbohydrates 44gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 16g