What’s better than Garlic Noodles?
SHRIMP GARLIC NOODLES.
Shrimp Garlic Noodles are very popular now in many Asian restaurants here in Southern California. Everywhere I go, there is a garlic noodle dish on the menu.
I first published my Crustacean-inspired garlic noodles recipe back in 2008, which was 10 years ago. Sometimes I really think that these Asian restaurants copied my recipe, as it has happened many times in the past!
Other asian Recipes You Might Like
Anyway, garlic noodles recipe is one of the most popular recipes on my site. Over the years, I have simplified the recipe to a few versions.
This Shrimp Garlic Noodles recipe is very easy but crazy delicious. You really have to try it.
Which Noodles to Use?
There are many kinds of fresh noodles in Asian stores or supermarkets; it can be overwhelming if you are not familiar. For the best results, you want to use fresh Taiwanese-style yellow noodles. Below is the picture of the noodles.
The noodles are coated in oil and yellowish in color. The noodles are packaged in a clear plastic bag. They are the best for garlic noodles.
Fresh Noodles Vs. Dry Noodles
If you have an Asian store, definitely buy fresh noodles. If Asian stores are not accessible, you can always use spaghetti for this recipe.
To be honest, I often use spaghetti when I make garlic noodles. It’s easy and convenient.
Ingredients of Garlic Noodles
Here are the key ingredients:
- Oyster Sauce
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
You can’t make decent garlic noodles if you don’t have proper Asian seasonings.
I used three (3) different kinds of sauces to make the garlic butter sauce, but over the years, I have simplified it down to oyster sauce.
This is oyster sauce or oyster-flavored sauce, the pillar of many Asian recipes. You need to have a bottle of this if you want to make delicious Asian food. I recommend Lee Kum Kee brand. Click here to buy.
How to Make the Shrimp?
The shrimp is the star of this recipe. Buy jumbo-sized or medium-sized shell on shrimp. Keep the shell but devein the shrimp. Saute the shrimp with garlic, soy sauce, sugar and scallion. It’s really that simple.
For serving, you just add a few shrimp on top of the noodles, and you will have an utterly scrumptious serving of Shrimp Garlic Noodles.
Serve Shrimp Garlic Noodles With:
For a wholesome dinner, make the following dishes.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 587 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 lbs. (1 kg) fresh Taiwanese-style yellow oil noodles
- 4 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
- 10 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 1/2 tablespoons Lee Kum Kee brand oyster sauce or oyster flavored sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons Kraft grated Parmesan cheese
- 10 oz. (300 g) shell-on shrimp
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped scallion
- 1 pinch salt
- Loosen up the fresh noodles with your hands, make sure every strand of the noodle is loosen up. Transfer the noodles to a colander and place it in the kitchen sink.
- Boil a pot of hot water. Pour the hot water over the noodles. This step will rinse the noodles of the oil and slightly cook the noodles. Drain the noodles. Set aside.
- Keep the shell on the shrimp and cut a slit on the back where the vein is. Remove the vein. Rinse the shrimp with water, and pat very dry with paper towels, set aside.
- Heat up a skillet or wok on medium heat. Add the butter. Saute the garlic until they start to brown. Add the oyster sauce and sugar. Stir to mix well before adding the noodles into the skillet or wok. Stir continuously with spatula (or a pair of Chinese cooking chopsticks) to mix the noodles with the sauce. Turn off the heat.
- Add the Parmesan cheese to the garlic noodles, stir to mix well. Transfer the noodles to a serving platter.
- In the same wok or skillet on medium heat. Add the olive oil and add the garlic. Quickly saute and add the shrimp, soy sauce and sugar. Keep stirring the shrimp until they are cooked through. Add a pinch of salt and the scallions. Dish out.
- Divide the garlic noodles into four serving bowls. Top the garlic noodles with 4-5 shrimp, serve immediately.
If you can't find the fresh noodles, use 8 oz. spaghetti.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 587Total Fat 18gSaturated Fat 8gCholesterol 122mgSodium 710mgCarbohydrates 78gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 25g