Shrimp Pad Thai
Pad Thai is a popular Thai stir-fried rice noodle dish with vegetables in a sweet and savory sauce topped with crushed peanuts.
You can make Pad Thai at home with chicken, shrimp, or a combination of chicken and shrimp. I love shrimp Pad Thai the best, as shrimp is my favorite.
Hot off the wok, this fried noodle is absolutely delicious, fresh, with the perfect balance of flavors. It is a tad spicy, savory, sweet and sour.
Ingredients to make the Best Pad Thai Recipe
You can make this dish by getting these simple ingredients:
- Skinny rice sticks
- Bean sprouts
- Fish sauce
Frequently Asked Questions
Is pad thai healthy?
The ingredients are relatively healthy, but put together, the calories may add up. Do not worry as my recipe has way less calories than you would find at your local Thai restaurant!
Does pad thai have dairy?
No, this does not have dairy.
How many calories?
This recipe has 494 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served as an entree. For a wholesome Thai meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 8 oz. (226 g) dry skinny rice sticks
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. (226 g) shelled and deveined shrimp
- 2 oz. (56 g) fried tofu, cut into pieces
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 6 oz. (170 g) bean sprouts
- 1 oz. (30 g) chives or scallion, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons tamarind
- 1/3 cup warm water
- 3 1/2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 4 tablespoons tamarind juice or 3 tablespoons Chinese rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- Cook the skinny rice sticks according to the package directions. Strain in a colander and run cold running water until the noodles becomes cool. Set aside to drain.
- Make the Tamarind juice by adding the tamarind and water together. Use your hand or a spoon to massage and squeeze the tamarind pulps to release the flavor. The tamarind juice should be dark brown in color, and slightly thick in its consistency. Extract 4 tablespoons of juice, set aside. Discard the tamarind pulps.
- Mix all the ingredients for the Sauce in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a wok or skillet over high heat. Add the garlic and stir fry until aromatic. Add the shrimp, tofu, and continue stirring. As soon as the shrimp changes color, add the rice sticks and stir continuously, for 30 seconds. Use the spatula to push all the ingredients to one side of the wok or skillet. Add the eggs and let cook for about 1 minute or until the bottom sets. Fold the noodles over the eggs, and then add in the Sauce. Stir continuously until everything is well combined. Add the bean sprouts, chives and do a few quick stirs. Turn off the heat and serve the noodles immediately with the lime wedges and topped with the peanuts.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 494Total Fat 22gSaturated Fat 13gCholesterol 449mgSodium 3464mgCarbohydrates 129gFiber 5gSugar 33gProtein 45g