Sichuan Smashed Cucumber Salad Recipe
Smashed cucumber salad features sweet, sour, and Sichuan-style tingly spices. Simply toss fresh smashed cucumber pieces with the spicy Chinese black vinegar dressing and finish with sesame seeds and fresh chopped cilantro on top.
This Sichuan-style cucumber salad is all about crisp chili oil and garlic which creates a tangy, spicy, and unique flavor that no one can resist.
It’s one of the most popular Asian Cucumber Salad recipes that makes a perfect appetizer for summer. It helps to stimulate the appetite with a refreshing and intense flavor.
Why This Recipe Works
This easy and quick smashed cucumber salad recipe is authentic and effortless to make at home. Simply toss the fresh smashed cucumber pieces with the prepared dressing and it will be a delicious appetiezer in just 10 minutes.
It’s also a healthy salad recipe that benefits our bodies in many ways. Cucumber is low in calories but high in nutrients, which helps to lose weight, keeps our body hydrated, and lower blood sugar.
Smashed Cucumber Salad Ingredients
This easy recipe is made with the following ingredients:
- Persian cucumber
- Low-sodium soy sauce
- Chinese black vinegar
- Granulated sugar
- Spicy chili crisp (or chili oil)
- Sesame oil
- Roasted sesame seeds
- Red Thai pepper
Sichuan Chili Crisp can be found in your local Asian markets. If you still can’t get it anywhere near you, you may also use dried red chili peppers (or chili flakes) with heated oil as a substitute. Heat the oil in a wok until smoking hot, and pour over to the chopped dried red chili peppers in a bowl. Let it cool down and mix it with the other ingredients.
How to Make Smashed Cucumber Salad?
Make this ultimate smashed cucumber salad with only three easy steps.
First, wash and smash the cucumber on a cutting board with a knife. Then cut it into bite-size pieces.
Next, prepare salad dressing by combining all the seasoning ingredients in a small bowl and stirring well.
Finally, topped the smashed cucumber pieces with chopped garlic, scallion, and red Thai pepper. Then, toss them well with the spicy salad dressing. Serve immediately.
For the best result, please follow my tips below.
- NO NEED TO PEEL. Persian cucumbers have thin skin and very small seeds, if any at all. This makes them perfect for enjoying in this salad.
- For the best taste, DO NOT toss the smashed cucumber pieces with dressing until you are just about ready to serve it.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Cucumber Should I Use to Make This Authentic Smashed Cucumber Salad?
Any cucumber will work for this recipe, such as Persian cucumber, Japanese cucumber or English cucumber. I used Persian cucumber for this recipe since it’s easy to find in local groceries and tastes perfect with its crispy skin.
How to Keep Cucumber Fresh and Crisp?
First, remove cucumber from the original packing after getting it from the grocery store. Rinse with cold water and pat dry. Store cucumber in an airtight plastic bag and keep it in the refrigerator before use.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 94 calories per serving.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 3 fresh Persian cucumbers
- 3 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 5 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon spicy chili crisp (or chili oil)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 tablespoon roasted sesame seeds
- salt to taste
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 stalk scallion (chopped)
- 2 red Red Thai pepper (chopped)
- 3 stalk cilantro (chopped)
- Wash and slice off the ends of cucumbers on a cutting board. Place the side of the knife against the cucumber and gently smash the cucumber with your palm until it splits. Then, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces and transfer them to a large bowl.
- Prepare salad dressing by combining soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, spicy chili crisp, sesame oil, roasted sesame seeds, and salt in a small bowl. Stir until sugar and salt are dissolved. Set aside.
- Top the smashed cucumber pieces with minced garlic, chopped scallion, red Thai pepper, and chopped cilantro in a large bowl. Toss well with prepared salad dressing.
- Dish out and serve immediately.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.