Sweet Corn And Chicken Soup Recipe
Sweet corn and chicken soup is one of the best egg drop soup recipes in Chinese restaurants. It’s a healthy, hearty soup for any time and all seasons that everyone loves.
This sweet and savory soup is made with creamy sweet corn and chicken breast. It’s thick with silky threads of eggs in every sip. Everyone loves this warm, comforting soup, especially kids and toddlers.
Why This recipe Works?
This easy egg drop soup recipe is quick to prepare and requires only a few essential ingredients from your pantry. It brings a delicious warm soup to the table in only 15 minutes.
Such a simple recipe is perfect for busy families and young children.
This homemade soup recipe is effortless to make and the total cost of the dish is a fraction of the price in restaurants.
This easy recipe calls for the following ingredients:
- Corn starch
- Chicken broth
- Skinless chicken breast (or ground chicken, chicken thigh)
- White pepper
Use low-sodium chicken broth or homemade chicken stock to cut down the salt in the soup, if desired.
The soup can be made with either skinless and boneless chicken breast, thigh, or ground chicken. Cut chicken breast (or chicken thighs) into small bite-size pieces or slices, then cook through with the remaining ingredients.
How To Make Sweet Corn And Chicken Soup?
The authentic sweet corn and chicken soup is quickly prepared in three steps.
First, mix corn starch and water in a small bowl; stir well and set aside.
Next, bring water and chicken broth to a boil in a soup pot. Lower the heat to medium and add chicken breast into the soup. Skim off the foam on the surface. Continue cooking the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes until cooked through. Add the creamy sweet corn and season the soup with white pepper and salt. Stir the corn starch mixture into the soup.
Finally, turn off the heat and swirl the beaten eggs into the soup. Immediately stir 3 times with a pair of chopsticks. Cover the pot with a lid for 2 minutes. The eggs should be cooked and will form into silken threads. Serve immediately.
- Do not whisk the eggs in the soup. Beat the eggs first and after the heat is turned off pour them in and gently stir 3 times with a pair of chopsticks. Cover the lid and the eggs should be cooked and form into silky pieces with the remaining heat in the pot.
- Thick the soup with corn starch but do not add too much of it. You want the soup to have a light, silky texture and it shouldn’t be too heavy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Store the soup in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days. You may also freeze the soup for longer freshness.
Freeze the soup without adding corn starch so it won’t be watery after reheating. Add the corn starch mixture while reheating for the best result.
Yes, this sweet corn and chicken soup is healthy and rich in omega-3 fatty acids, which benefits our heart and helps to reduce the risk of heart disease.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe has only 236 calories per serving.
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 6 oz chicken breast (or ground chicken, chicken thigh), skinless, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 can creamy sweet corn
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Cilantro, to garnish
- Mix corn starch and water in a small bowl; stir well and set aside.
- Add chicken broth and water to a soup pot amd bring to a boil. Lower the heat to medium and add chicken breast into the soup. (If using ground chicken, break up the chicken into small pieces with a fork before cooking.) Skim off the foam on the surface. Continue cooking the chicken for 3 to 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Add the creamy sweet corn, white pepper, and salt and thicken the soup with cornstarch mixture. (Gently stir the cornstarch mixture before adding to the soup.) Stir the soup with a ladle and turn off the heat.
- Swirl the beaten eggs into the soup and immediately stir a few times with a pair of chopsticks. Cover the pot with a lid for 2 minutes. The eggs should be cooked and will form into silken threads.
- Dish out and serve immediately with cilatro leaves on top.
Amount Per Serving Calories 236Total Fat 5.1gSaturated Fat 1.2gCholesterol 82mgSodium 807mgCarbohydrates 42.6gFiber 5.3gSugar 7gProtein 11.3g