It’s that time of year again…when big, huge, juicy, red (and seedless) watermelons are on sale at the supermarkets and food stores.
Everywhere you turn, you see some fresh and plump watermelons beckon with a low price tag of $0.99 per lb, or $2.99 each!
I am a sucker for watermelon, I can never resist them.
And I would always pick the biggest one (which is bigger than my head), lug it home, and then realize that the watermelon is too big for my fridge and I couldn’t fit it in.
That was exactly what happened this past weekend.
With a bottle of tequila sitting on my kitchen counter top, plus some fresh mints in my backyard, I turned my watermelon into this amazing watermelon-tequila cocktail, thanks to the amazing recipe by Food & Wine.
I opted out the blueberries from the recipe and added a bit of calamansi lime juice to the cocktail.
It was amazing and in no time, Mr. Rasa Malaysia and I finished the whole jug of the cocktail, at 11 am in the morning!
With Memorial Day weekend just days away, this watermelon-tequila cocktail is the perfect drink for your party, and definitely all through summer.
You can easily make it into a mocktail by opting out tequila in the recipe.
It’s a perfect cocktail for any parties and a summer drink to quench your thirst and beat the heat.
This summer I plan to share many new cocktails and drinks recipes with you, some Asian-inspired, for example: ginger-lemongrass iced tea with boba (tapioca pearls), sake sangria, lychee martini and so much more.
I am excited just thinking of these amazing libations.
Please stay tuned and cheers!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 168 calories per serving.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 8 cups (1 lb.) diced seedless watermelon
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 3 calamansi limes, juice only, optional
- 1/2 cup lightly packed fresh mint leaves, plus 8 sprigs for garnish
- 1 1/4 cups silver tequila
- In a small saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a simmer. Stir until the sugar is dissolved, about 1 minute; let the sugar syrup cool.
- In a blender, puree the watermelon until smooth. Strain the watermelon juice, pressing gently on the pulps to extract as much juice as possible. Discard the pulp.
- In a pitcher, combine the sugar syrup with the lime juice, calamansi juice and mint leaves. Using a wooden spoon, lightly muddle the mint. Add the watermelon juice and tequila. Add ice to the cocktail and
- garnish with the mint sprigs and serve cold.
You can use vodka in lieu of tequila.
Serving Size8 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 168Total Fat 1gSaturated Fat 1gUnsaturated Fat 0gSodium 4mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 2gSugar 16gProtein 1g