Makes 24 madeleines
2 jumbo eggs plus 1 egg yolk
5 oz. sugar
5 oz. all purpose flour (sieved)
5 oz. unsalted butter (melted)
Lemon zest from half a lemon
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon baking powder (add into the sieved flour)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease the madeleine pan with butter.
- Using an electronic hand beater, beat the eggs and sugar until thick and foamy.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest into the egg mixture and blend well.
- Fold in the flour and use a spatula to mix well.
- Fold in the melted butter, stir and blend until the butter is well incorporated with the batter.
- Transfer the batter into the madeleine pan and fill about 90% of each “hole”. Don’t spread it.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until they turn light brown.
- Remove the madeleine pan from the oven and let cool on a cooling rack.
- You might need to tap the madeleine pan to release the madeleines. Sprinkle with a little bit of powdered sugar before serving.
To make the madeleine extra humpy, chill the batter in the fridge for a couple of hours before baking.