Frozen green mussels (imported from New Zealand) are topped with the rich, creamy, cheese mayonnaise sauce and then baked. When they are out of the oven, I love topping them with some Japanese fish roe or tobiko so every bite is also bursting with the wonderful flavors of the tabiko. Ah….so yummy.
Other Recipes You Might Like
These mussels are also called Mussels Dynamite and often served as an appetizer at Japanese restaurants or at Japanese seafood/sushi buffets. There is another similar dish called Shrimp Dynamite and I have the recipe.
Every time I see these two items on the menu, I just have to pick them up and indulge myself in the creamy deliciousness.
Green mussels are readily available at the frozen section of many supermarkets, so you can make this Japanese appetizer in a jiffy.
With the Labor Day weekend just a week away, you can serve this cheese-mayo baked mussels or mussel dynamite as an appetizer with your regular BBQ and meats. I am sure your guests would love you forever for pampering them with this utterly mouthwatering recipe.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 367 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 12 green mussels on half shells, frozen
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon chili sauce for example: Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tobiko fish roes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Clean and rinse the mussels, pat dry with paper towels.
- In a small bowl, combine the rest of the ingredients and blend well.
- Lay the mussels on a tray lined with baking sheet or aluminium foil, top each mussel with about 1/2 tablespoon of the cheese-mayo mixture.
- Bake the mussels for 20 or so minutes or until the surface become golden brown. Remove from the oven, top with some tobiko fish roes and serve warm.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 367Total Fat 34gSaturated Fat 6gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 61mgSodium 510mgCarbohydrates 5gSugar 3gProtein 10g