I am not sure if this is an authentic Japanese recipe, but this is certainly one of my favorite eat-out dish when I dine at Japanese restaurants.
This dish is usually called Seafood Dynamite, or Baked Seafood in Dynamite Sauce, or something along that line.
In any case, it’s basically baked assortment of seafood—usually baby shrimp, bay scallop, clam, etc.— in a creamy mayonnaise sauce, spiked with some masago (Capelin roe), and spiced with a wee bit of Sriracha.
Seafood Dynamite has all the ingredients that I love, with a flavor that I rather enjoy, especially when I am in the mood for something luscious, rich, and heavy. Because it calls for seafood, it’s a pricy dish and the portion is usually small if you order at Japanese restaurants.
The good news is that it’s so much cheaper making Seafood Dynamite at home, and you can have a bigger portion if you like. Plus, it’s easy to make, as you can see from my Seafood Dynamite recipe below…
I prefer buying fresh seafood to make this dish, but you can totally use a frozen mixed seafood pack that is commonly found at supermarkets.
My favorite combination is bay scallop, baby shrimp, crab meat, and manila clam (shelled). Seafood Dynamite is really delicious and filling, and perfect as an appetizer or entree (bigger serving).
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 380 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 2 oz. (60 g) shelled baby shrimp
- 2 oz. (60 g) bay scallop
- 2 oz. (60 g) crab meat
- 2 oz. (60 g) shelled clam meat
- 4 cans button mushrooms or fresh mushrooms, sliced into thin pieces
- Shredded or grated cheese, optional
- 6 tablespoons mayonnaise, Japanese Kewpie mayonnaise preferred
- 1/2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon masago
- Heat up the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Using a teaspoon, mix all the ingredients in the Dynamite Sauce and set aside.
- Pat dry the baby shrimp, bay scallop, crab meat, clam, and sliced button mushroom with paper towels. Add half of the Dynamite Sauce to the seafood, stir to coat well.
- Transfer the seafood into an oven-safe dish or container (you can also use aluminum foil or a big clam shell). Top the seafood with the remaining Dynamite Sauce. Drizzle some shredded or grated cheese on top (optional). Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the Seafood Dynamite turns slightly brown. Dish out and serve hot.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 380Total Fat 33gSaturated Fat 5gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 135mgSodium 894mgCarbohydrates 4gSugar 3gProtein 17g