Dynamite Shrimp, crispy shrimp coated with rich creamy Sriracha mayo just like your favorite Japanese restaurant. Super delicious but very easy to make at home!
I love Japanese food and I usually dine out once a week at Japanese izakaya or regular Japanese restaurants.
One of the things I love about eating out in Japanese restaurants is the Appetizer menu.
And all of them are so yummy and I could just order appetizers and be very happy.
It’s basically shrimp battered and deep fried to golden perfection and tossed with a honey-mayonnaise light dressing.
Sounds really simple but they are oh-so-addictive.
In my opinion, the best Dynamite Shrimp is made with rock shrimp, as rock shrimp has a nice crisp texture and perfect for this recipe.
Anyway, rock shrimp is hard to come by unless you go to some expensive seafood specialty stores.
Regular shrimp works well.
For the mayonnaise, a little heat goes a long way and hence I used some Sriracha hot sauce for some extra zing.
When I make Japanese dishes, I also make sure that I use Kewpie brand Japanese mayonnaise, which comes in a soft plastic tube with the iconic baby as the label.
Dynamite Shrimp is a perfect appetizer to serve to guests or whenever you want to pamper yourself for a quick afternoon treat.
I love this and never tire of eating it.
I hope you like this recipe and get to make it soon!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 404 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 6 oz. (170 g) shelled and deveined medium-sized shrimp
- oil, for deep-frying
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 50 ml (2 oz.) water
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise, Kewpie brand preferred
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon sriracha or to taste, (Optional)
- 1 squirt lemon juice
- Clean and rinse the shrimp with cold running water. Pat dry with paper towels and set aside.
- Prepare the Batter by mixing all the ingredients together. Prepare the Dressing by combining all the ingredients together.
- Add the shrimp into the batter and coat evenly. Heat up a deep-fryer or a pot with oil for deep-frying. When the oil is heated, drop each shrimp gently into the oil and deep fry until they turn golden brown. Transfer them out with a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl lined with paper towels.
- Remove the paper towels and add the Dressing into the bowl and toss it around until all the shrimp are nicely coated with the dressing. Serve immediately.
Serving Size1 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 404Total Fat 47gSaturated Fat 6gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 231mgSodium 1313mgCarbohydrates 61gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 30g