What Are Parker House Rolls?
I have always wanted to make Parker House Rolls, especially after seeing numerous magazines with perfectly baked, golden brown, soft, fluffy and hot-off-the-oven pictures of the rolls.
I really like the idea of baking homemade rolls.
Ingredients for Parker House Roll Recipe
- Dry yeast
- Parmesan cheese
- To make the rolls the exact same size, weigh the dough so they’re all the same.
- There is no need to spread butter. They are just so tasty as is but of course butter will always make everything better.
- The parmesan cheese is optional as well, but they make the rolls even more delicious and tantalizing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Are They Called Parker House Rolls?
These rolls received their name after the Boston Parker House Hotel, where they were originated in the 1870s. This is based on the legend that a hotel baker threw a tray of unfinished rolls into an oven.
How Do You Reheat Parker House Rolls?
Reheat the rolls in the oven at 350°F after salting and buttering them for 7-10 minutes.
How Do You Freeze the Rolls?
To freeze the rolls, place the balls of dough in a baking pan that is lined with parchment, cover it with plastic, and then freeze it. You can freeze it for up to 3 months.
How Many Calories?
This recipe has 181 calories per serving.
What Dishes to Serve with This Recipe?
This dish is best served with butter. For other delicious baking recipes to pair, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1 (1/4 oz.)envelope active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons butter, plus more for brushing
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Place milk in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Turn off heat, stir in the butter and sugar and let cool. Meanwhile, dissolve yeast in warm water and let sit until foamy, about 15 minutes.
- In a mixer with a dough hook attachment, combine milk mixture, eggs, yeast mixture, salt, and 1/2 of the flour. Mix on medium-low speed. Gradually add the remaining flour and mix until a smooth ball forms. (Alternatively, you can mix all ingredients in a large bowl and knead the dough by hand).
- Place ball of dough in large greased bowl. Cover with plastic wrap or a clean kitchen towel. Let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
- Lightly flour a clean working surface. Divide the dough into 16 pieces and shape into rolls. Place rolls side by side in a greased 9”x13” baking pan. Cover the pan again and let the rolls rise until almost doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven 350°F (176°C). Brush the tops of the rolls with melted butter and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.
Serving Size16 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 181Total Fat 5gSaturated Fat 3gCholesterol 35mgSodium 281mgCarbohydrates 25gFiber 0gSugar 4gProtein 6g