Hasselback potatoes are the Swedish version of a baked potato. They originated from the Hasselbacken Hotel Restaurant in Stockholm, Sweden.
Regardless of the origin, I am a huge fan of baked potaotes, especially beautifully sliced potatoes and every slit is filled with amazing garlic and butter, just like my garlic butter Hasselback potatoes.
OTHER ROASTED POTATOES YOU MIGHT LIKE:
How Do You Cut Hasselback Potatoes
I get this question a lot so I will show you the picture how to slice and cut the potatoes. The secret tool is a wooden ladle.
Place each potato in the spoon and then slice horizontally. The wooden ladle will make sure that you don’t accidentally cut through the potato. This is a brilliant kitchen hack!
Yellow Potatoes or Red Potatoes?
I love yellow potatoes, especially baby yellow potatoes. I have so many recipes of baby potatoes (you should totally check them out).
So, can you make Hasselback potatoes with red potatoes? Of course, you can. The flavor doesn’t change, even though the skin color is different.
You may also combine both yellow and red potatoes for this Hasselback potatoes recipe.
How Long Do You Bake Hasselback Potatoes?
It all depends on the size of the potatoes. If you use baby potatoes, which I highly recommend, you will need to roast at 400F for about 40 minutes. If you have bigger potatoes, bake for 60 minutes.
To be sure, I always check the doneness by poking a fork into a potato to make sure it’s cooked through. Active time is short so make this amazing side dish for your family!
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 193 calories per serving.
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb. (0.4 kg) baby potatoes, yellow or red, washed and rinsed
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 1 head garlic, separated, skin-on
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 dashes ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (207°C).
- Place each potato on a wooden spoon and cut horizontal slits on the potatoes. In a small bowl, combine the butter, garlic, garlic powder, salt, black pepper and parsley together. Stir to combine well. Toss the potatoes with the garlic butter mixture, coat well. Brush the garlic butter inside the slits of the potatoes. Transfer the potatoes to a cast-iron pan or roasting pan.
- Roast the potatoes for 20 minutes, then turn them over and baste with the garlic butter mixture in the pan. Roast for another 20 minutes. Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 193Total Fat 11gSaturated Fat 7gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 30mgSodium 117mgCarbohydrates 21gFiber 2gProtein 2g