Roasted Butternut Squash
Today, I am sharing with you my garlic Parmesan roasted butternut squash recipe. This is a perfect Fall/Winter recipe when butternut squash is in season!
So sweet, tender, soft, and such a great side dish and very quick to make! There are a few simple prep steps. Then, you simply place the squash into the oven and magic happens.
Other Squash Recipes You Might Like
How to Peel Butternut Squash?
Before you can make the roasted butternut squash recipe, you will need to peel the squash. As long as you use a sharp chef’s knife or serrated bread knife, it is super easy to do.
- To make it easier to peel the awkward shape of the squash, cut a small portion off the top and bottom ends. As a result, you’ll have flat surfaces for it to stand on.
- Cut the butternut squash in half where the neck starts to widen. This will give you one fat and one narrow piece.
- Just like a pumpkin, butternut squash has seeds in the center of the base. There aren’t nearly as many as a pumpkin but if you are feeling adventurous, you can roast and eat them. Otherwise, just scoop them out and discard them.
- Cut both pieces of squash in half lengthwise. Now you have four pieces that can stand up. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the squash, starting from the top end.
- Once the skin is gone, cut your squash into similar size pieces. They won’t be identical in shape, and that’s okay. You just want them as close in size as possible. This assures that they roast evenly.
How to roast butternut squash?
After peeling the butternut squash, cut it into one inch cubes. Season it with your favorite spices. It doesn’t need much since the squash is so flavorful.
For this easy side dish recipe, I use garlic, butter and parsley, along with salt and pepper. Spread the butternut squash cubes in an even layer onto a baking sheet. For even roasting, make sure not to overlap the pieces.
If you aren’t using the entire squash, seal the leftovers tightly with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator.
How many calories per serving?
This recipe is only 195 calories per serving.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Serve this dish with a main dish. For a healthy meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 lb. (0.4 kg) butternut squash, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tbsp (2 oz. / 56 g) butter, melted
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 dashes black pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley leaves
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (207°C).
- Peel the butternut squash with a peeler and use a spoon to scrape the pulp and seeds. Cut into cubes and small chunks.
- In a salad bowl, toss the butternut squash cubes with the garlic, melted butter, salt, pepper, and parsley leaves.
- Transfer the butternut squash onto a baking sheet. Spread out in an even and single layer (no overlap), and roast for about 40 minutes or until the surface becomes light brown and the flesh is tender and soft. Turn off the heat, remove from oven and sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top of the squash. Put it back into the oven for 5 minutes to melt the cheese. Serve immediately.
Serving Size4 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 195Total Fat 14gSaturated Fat 9gCholesterol 38mgSodium 246mgCarbohydrates 15gFiber 3gSugar 3gProtein 5g