Baked Chicken with ginger garlic is so delicious to make! It’s one of those chicken recipes that I make when I wanted to have a quick and easy home cooked meal but too lazy to fire up a wok.
This easy baked chicken always turn out tender, moist and juicy. They’re so delicious and best served on their own, or with rice or noodles. The sticky sweet and savory sauce is crazy delicious!
I started making baked chicken when I first came to the US many years ago for graduate school. I was always the designated cook in the apartment, and chicken drumsticks were always on sale in the supermarkets at the college town.
For $0.99 a lb, I could load up a 5 lb pack of chicken drumsticks for less than $5.00! What’s more, I am partial to chicken, especially the tender, juicy, meaty chicken drumsticks.
Other Recipes You Might Like
How to Marinate the Chicken?
This ginger garlic baked chicken recipe is Asian-flavored. I used soy sauce, oyster sauce, sesame oil, white pepper, and honey to marinate the chicken before baking them in the oven.
I also added a little bit of Chinese five-spice powder to give it a sweet aroma of the spices.
If you don’t have the five-spice powder, you can always skip it, but it’s a good item to stock in your pantry.
All the other ingredients of soy sauce, oyster sauce (buy Lee Kum Kee brand), sesame oil, white pepper can be easily found at any regular supermarkets these days.
If you can’t find white pepper, you can always use black pepper and it will work just fine.
The Best Temperature to Bake Chicken?
What is the best temperature to bake chicken? According to Perdue.com, the best temperature to bake chicken is 350F – 375F. Personally, I always bake chicken at 375F.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 293 calories per serving.
How Long Do You Bake Chicken in the Oven?
If you bake the chicken at 375F, here are the average time to bake the chicken in the oven:
- Chicken breasts, skin on and skinless – 30 – 40 minutes
- Chicken drumsticks – 35 – 45 minutes
- Chicken legs – 40 – 50 minutes
- Chicken thighs – 40 – 50 minutes
- Chicken wings (including wingettes and drumettes) – 30 – 40 minutes
These juicy baked chicken is a comfort food to me. It reminds me of those days when I was a frugal and poor international student in the Midwest of America. Those days were long gone, but the taste continues to please my palate!
What Dishes To Serve with this Recipe?
For a wholesome meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- 1 1/2 lbs. (0.6 kg) chicken drumsticks
- 1 piece ginger, peeled and chopped, (2-inch/5cm)
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 dashes white pepper
- 1 pinch Chinese five-spice powder, (optional)
- 1 pinch salt
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Add the ginger and garlic to the chicken and gently rub them on the chicken. Add the rest of the ingredients to the chicken, stir to mix well so the chicken drumsticks are nicely coated with all the ingredients.
- Set aside to marinate for at least 30 minutes or best for 2 hours in the fridge.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Arrange the chicken on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30-40 minutes in the middle of the oven, or until the surface turn golden brown, slightly charred and inside is cooked through. Serve warm.
If the ginger and garlic are burned on the surface of the chicken, scrape them off before serving. You may cover the chicken with aluminum foil to prevent the surface from getting too dark. You can do that in the middle of baking the chicken, once the chicken surface has turned dark but the inside is still not cooked.
Serving Size3 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 293Total Fat 16gSaturated Fat 4gUnsaturated Fat 0gCholesterol 140mgSodium 757mgCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 6gProtein 28g