Hot Chocolate Recipe
Winter time calls for hot chocolate and I am sure we all spend a fortune getting our favorite cup of hot cocoa from Starbucks!
In this recipe, I am going to teach you how to make homemade hot chocolate that tastes like Starbucks, at a fraction of the price.
There is no more hot choc run and you can make this hot beverage at the comfort of your home, anytime you like.
How to Make Hot Chocolate?
There are many recipes for hot cocoa but I swear by this recipe that my sister taught me.
It’s an easy recipe and calls for only four (4) key ingredients.
- Whole milk (preferred). You can use low fat 2% milk if you like.
- Semi sweet chocolate chips (preferred) or real cocoa powder.
- Sweetened whipped cream, optional.
- Pumpkin spice, optional
To make the beverage, first you bring the milk to a boil. Next, lower the heat and add the chocolate or cocoa powder.
The last step is to sweeten the hot cocoa with sugar and topped with whipped cream and cocoa powder.
During fall and winter months, I like to add a little bit of pumpkin spice.
For the milkiest, chocolate-rich and the best hot chocolate, follow my tips below:
- Use high quality semi sweet chocolate chips. I like Scharffen Berger, Barry Callebaut and Ghirardelli. Trader Joe’s chocolate chips are great, too.
- If you choose to use cocoa powder, make sure you use a cocoa powder which is not too bitter. I like Ghirardelli Sweet Ground Cocoa.
- Use whole milk.
- Always serve the hot cocoa with a piece of chocolate on the side.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Hot Cocoa Mix to Make Hot Chocolate?
Yes, you sure can, but I strongly recommend my recipe to make this favorite hot drink from scratch.
It’s much cheaper and better than instant hot cocoa mix.
What is the Difference Between Hot Chocolate and Hot Cocoa?
Technically, hot chocolate is made with real chocolate and hot cocoa is made with cocoa powder.
However, they are the same beverage universally and mean the same thing.
Can I Make Hot Cocoa without Milk?
Yes, you sure can. You can use almond milk or make it with water.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe is only 456 calories per serving.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
Serve the hot choc with breakfast. For breakfast of champions, I recommend the following recipes.
Pairs well with:
The best homemade hot chocolate with whole milk, real chocolate, sugar and water. This hot cocoa recipe is so easy to make at home. It's so creamy and rich!
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup water, optional
- 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chip, loosely packed (or scant 2 tablespoons cocoa powder)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- sweetened whipped cream, optional
- cocoa powder, for garnishing
- 1 pinch pumpkin spice, optional
- 1 piece chocolate
Heat up the milk and water (optional) on medium heat. As soon as it bubbles, add the chocolate chips or cocoa powder and sugar. Stir to mix well. Turn off the heat and transfer the hot chocolate to a mug.
Top with the whipped cream (if using), cocoa powder and pumpkin spice (if using). Serve hot with a piece of chocolate on the side.
If you like your hot chocolate to be thinner, use 1/4 cup water, otherwise skip it.