Salmon is one of the most popular fish in the United States.
Salmon is rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and a great source of protein.
More importantly, you can buy salmon in any grocery stores, making it one of the easiest fish recipes for dinner.
How to Cook Salmon?
How to cook salmon in a pan? How to cook salmon on the stove?
These are two of the most commonly asked questions when it comes to cooking salmon.
In this easy recipe, you are going to learn how to cook salmon fillet in a pan on the stove.
How Long to Cook Salmon on the Stove?
For regular salmon fillet that is about 1 1/2 inches in thickness, it takes about 3 minutes to cook on each side.
First, add some cooking oil to a pan. Next cook both sides of the fish until slightly charred and the inside is just cooked through, about 5 minutes total time.
If your salmon is slightly thicker, cook for an extra 1-2 minutes.
Cook’s Tips for Moist and Juicy Salmon
For the best, perfect and tender salmon, please follow my cooking tips and techniques below.
- Brush or coat olive oil on both sides of the salmon filet before cooking. Olive oil will make sure that your salmon remains moist and juicy after cooking in the pan on the stove.
- Season the salmon fillet with kosher salt or sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper.
- Season generously with paprika or smoked paprika for some heat.
- Cook the salmon on high heat in a pan. Each side takes about 2-3 minutes to cook.
- Do not overcook the salmon or the texture will become dry and tough.
- Serve the salmon with lemon wedges. Squeeze the lemon juice on the salmon before serving.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Kind of Pan Can I Use?
You can use all kinds of pan, for examples: stainless steel pan or skillet, non-stick pan or skillet, or cast-iron pan or skillet.
I personally like non-stick or cast-iron pan.
Both pans deliver the best result when it comes to cooking salmon fillet on the stove.
How to Cook Frozen Salmon?
I don’t recommend cooking frozen salmon right out of a freezer.
Thaw frozen salmon to room temperature, then pat dry with paper towels.
Brush the salmon with olive oil and season with kosher salt, ground black pepper and smoked paprika before cooking in the pan on the stove.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This recipe is only 298 calories per serving.
What to Serve with This Recipe?
Serve salmon with side dishes. For a healthy meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 8 oz. salmon fillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Kosher salt or sea salt flakes
- Ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon chopped parsley
- Lemon wedges
- Rinse the salmon fillet with cold water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Brush or coat 1/2 tablespoon olive oil on both sides of the salmon.
- Sprinkle salt, freshly ground black pepper and smoked paprika on both sides of the salmon fillet.
- Heat up a pan on high heat. When the pan is fully heated, add the remaining 1/2 tablespoon olive oil. Cook the salmon for 2-3 minutes, uninterrupted.
- Turn the salmon over and cook the other side for another 2-3 minutes, or until the inside is just cooked through. DO NOT overcook so the salmon will be moist and juicy inside.
- Top the salmon with chopped parsley and serve immediately with lemon wedges. Squeeze lemon juice on top of the salmon before eating.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.