Hush Puppies Recipe
What are Hush Puppies? Hush puppies are fried cornmeal balls. Also known as corn dodgers or pups, these fried bread are popular in the southern states of America.
They are small, savory, made of cornmeal batter and great with a dipping sauce such as Sriracha or spicy mayonnaise.
This easy hush puppies recipe is every bit authentic, crispy, delicious and as good as the ones at Long John Silver’s.
How to Make Hush Puppies?
Hush puppies calls for the following ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Baking powder and baking soda
To make this side dish, first you combine all the ingredients together. It’s important not to stir. Stir just until the batter is lumpy then deep fried in hot oil until they become golden and crispy.
Frequently Asked Questions
Best Oil for Deep-fryingt
Use a neutral tasting oil such as vegetable oil to deep fry hushpuppies.
Can You Freeze Leftover?
Absolutely. Once they are ready, you can keep the leftover frozen in the refrigerator. Just reheat them in a toaster oven when ready to serve again.
How Many Calories per Serving?
This homemade recipe is only 65 calories per piece.
What to Serve with This Recipe?
Serve this dish with seafood main dishes. For a healthy Southern-style meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
For more great recipes like this, sign up for our newsletter. We’ll send daily recipes you’ll love!
Sign up for our newsletter!
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1/2 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- Vegetable oil or shortening for deep-fat frying
- In a medium bowl, stir together the first six ingredients (through salt). Make a well in the center of flour mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine the next three ingredients (through green onions). Add egg mixture all at once to flour mixture. Stir just until moistened (batter should be lumpy).
- In a 3-qt. saucepan or deep-fat fryer heat 2 inches vegetable oil to 375 °F (190 °C) or each hush puppy, drop a slightly rounded tablespoon of the batter into hot oil. Fry, three or four at a time, 3 minutes or until golden, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Serve warm.
Notice: Nutrition is auto-calculated, using Spoonacular, for your convenience. Where relevant, we recommend using your own nutrition calculations.