Aglio e Olio
Aglio e olio is one of the most basic and easiest Italian recipes.
As the name suggests, the pasta is made with garlic (aglio) and oil (olio). The recipe originated from Naples and it’s very popular worldwide.
The two key ingredients are olive oil and garlic. Aglio e olio spaghetti is also speckled with red pepper flakes, which gives the recipe a subtle heat.
The oil, garlic and heat transform this simple pasta dish into a delicious and restaurant-quality meal that you can make at home!
Other Recipes You Might Like
Ingredients for Aglio e Olio Recipe
I made the recipe with shrimp. Here are the list of ingredients:
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Tiger prawn or shrimp
- Red pepper flakes
- Parmesan cheese
Frequently Asked Questions
What Does Aglio Olio Mean?
It is Italian for spaghetti with garlic and oil. You can find the basic recipe on Serious Eats.
Can I Use Vegetable Oil for Aglio e Olio Pasta?
No, using vegetable will result in a bland pasta. Extra-virgin olive oil is recommended for this dish.
Do I Have to Use Tiger Prawn?
You can never go wrong with plump, fresh, and juicy tiger prawn on your pasta.
However, you can always use regular shrimp. I prefer shelled and deveined shrimp or tiger prawn, with tails on.
Can I Use Chicken?
Yes, you sure can use chicken instead of shrimp as the protein of choice.
How Many Calories Per Serving?
This recipe has 665 calories per serving.
What to Serve with this Recipe?
This meal is best served as a main entree with side dishes. For a wholesome Italian meal and easy weeknight dinner, I recommend the following recipes.
5 Secrets to 20 Min Dinners
Get tricks for quick & easy meals!
- water for boiling
- 8 oz. (226 g) spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz. (226 g) shelled, deveined tiger prawn or medium-sized shrimp, tail-on
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- 3 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Cook the spaghetti according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside. Save 3 tablespoons of the pasta water.
- Heat a skillet on medium heat and add the olive oil. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds, add the shrimp, chili flakes and salt. Cook the shrimp until both sides turn white, then add the spaghetti and water into the skillet. Stir to combine well.
- Add the parsley into the skillet, stir to distribute well. Turn off the heat and add the Parmesan cheese. Dish out and serve immediately.
Serving Size2 people
Amount Per Serving Calories 665Total Fat 19gSaturated Fat 4gCholesterol 148mgSodium 1361mgCarbohydrates 88gFiber 4gSugar 3gProtein 33g