One Pot Spaghetti
If you are a mom who has kids in school, this homemade one-pot spaghetti and meat sauce should be on your dinner rotation.
This recipe is so easy and quick. Throw all ingredients in the meat sauce and dinner is ready in 20 minutes.
Other Recipes You Might Like
How to Make Spaghetti with Meat Sauce?
You can make spaghetti and meat sauce on stove top. You can use a skillet, a pot such as Dutch oven, or a pan.
The meat sauce can be made from scratch, using ground beef and seasoned with salt and pepper. The cooking process is very easy and anyone can make it.
Fresh Tomatoes vs. Canned Tomatoes
While you can use fresh tomatoes and cook everything from scratch (check out my one-pan pasta recipe), I opted for canned tomatoes for busy weeknights. There are two kinds of canned tomatoes you can use:
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Whole Peeled Tomatoes
I used Hunt’s Crushed Tomatoes, but you can certainly use Whole Peeled Tomatoes for similar results.
Just remember to blend the whole tomatoes if you are using the latter.
Tips for Making One Pot Spaghetti
- You can use a pot such as Dutch oven or a pan or skillet.
- If you use a pan or skillet, make sure the diameter is at least 11-inch so it’s wide enough to contain the spaghetti.
- If you have a smaller pan or skillet, break the spaghetti into halves before adding to the cookware.
- Cover the pot, pan or skillet while cooking.
- Half way through cooking, uncover the pot and stir the spaghetti and meat sauce a few times so the spaghetti doesn’t stick to the bottom.
- Do not overcook the spaghetti. The spaghetti will continue to cook after you turn off the heat and the sauce will reduce on its own as the spaghetti “soaks up” the meat sauce.
Serve One Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce with:
For a wholesome dinner, make the following dishes.
Pairs well with:
One Pot Spaghetti with Meat Sauce Recipe
Quick and easy one pot spaghetti with meat sauce recipe that takes 20 mins to make. The delicious meat sauce is loaded with ground beef and made from scratch!
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can crushed tomatoes, I used Hunt's (28 ounces)
- 2 1/3 cups chicken or beef broth
- 8 oz. spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- salt, to taste
Season the ground beef with salt and ground black pepper. Set aside.
Heat up a pan, skillet or pot on medium heat and add the olive oil. Saute the onion and garlic until aromatic and the onion turns soft. Add the ground beef, stirring continuously with a wooden spatula. Use the spatula to break up the lumps.
Add the crushed tomatoes, broth, spaghetti and chopped parsley. Press the spaghetti down so they are covered by the sauce.
Cover the pan, skillet or pot and cook for 14 minutes. At 10 minutes point, uncover the lid and use the spatula to stir the spaghetti around. This will make sure that they won't stick to the bottom. Add salt to taste.
Check the doneness of the spaghetti after 14 minutes. If it's still not cooked, add more broth and cook for a few more minutes. I like to cook my spaghetti al dente as the spaghetti will continue to cook after you remove it from the heat. Serve the spaghetti and meat sauce with grated parmesan cheese, if you like.
Adapted from Skinny Taste.